Hello and visit to Ireland

mikwit

Hello and visit to Ireland

Post by mikwit »

Hello,

I have been a guest here a while so thought I'd register. I have been a keen amateur exotic plant grower since a kid and it continues to occupy and fascinate me. For the last couple of years I have grown (and bought) a lot of Bamboos, now Ferns are getting my attention.

With this in mind I am heading off to South west Ireland in a couple of weeks and maybe see the Killarney fern.. if I amlucky;But also going to Kells bay and Valentia Island. If anyone has any tips on other gardens to see or Nurseries to visit that would be welcome. I am hoping to bring back a couple of ferns in my suitcase courtesy of Ryanair!

cheers

Mike
kata

Re: Hello and visit to Ireland

Post by kata »

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the forum. I have a relative from Ireland (Donegal) lovely people. Ireland I am told its a very slow way of life there. My sis brought me a set of beautiful glasses back from Waterford.

Sounds like your going to have a great holiday. You might find Google is your friend for links to gardens of distinction (Ireland).

I like this link.

http://www.garden.ie/gardens_to_see.aspx

Have a lovely time Mike.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hi and welcome. Never mind the fern, the fishing around Valentia Island is brilliant!(so is a pint of the black stuff so check that out as well :wink: )
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Mike icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Mike icon_cheers

Fota Arboretum is free but a bit far from your area icon_thumleft
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Welcome icon_salut
mikwit

Post by mikwit »

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. Greville thanks for the tip Re: Fota, as we are flying in and out of Cork it is do-able so have put that on my list.

Also going to go to Cappoquin House where there is Stam's Bamboo nursery, he has other exotics I believe so that sounds good,

:eyes:

M
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hi milkwit, been over there my self a couple of times, lovely Country but very expensive, so take plenty of money with you. :lol: This wont help you but if any one is going near the Irish National Horse Stud they have a very interesting Japanese garden well worth a visit.. icon_thumright