Hello from Ely, Cambridgeshire.

ElyMajorelle

Hello from Ely, Cambridgeshire.

Post by ElyMajorelle »

Hello everybody, we are Ian and Tracy, and we live in Ely, Cambridgeshire, UK.
We have a small but growing collection of exotic plants, palms, bananas, succulents etc.
Our garden was changed this year (2012) from a traditional english style garden to our mini version of the Majorelle gardens in Marrakech, Morocco. http://www.jardinmajorelle.com/jardin/
Here is a picture of our garden.
garden.jpg
It's early days for the garden at the moment, but hopefully you can see what we are trying to make it look like.
Cheers for now
Ian and Tracy
kata

Re: Hello from Ely, Cambridgeshire.

Post by kata »

Welcome to Hardy Tropical forum Ian and Tracy,

That pic looks lovely, great start.

icon_cheers
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

Thankyou Kata. :D
flounder

Post by flounder »

Welcome. It will be good to see a pictorial diary of how it develops icon_thumleft
All I've got to do now, is google the original to see what you're trying to copy :wink:

edit
Ok, followed the link. The vibrant colours with the green of the planting, I like that. The only thing you might have a bit of trouble copying, is the weather!!
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Ian and Tracy, welcome to the forum :D . Shall I tell you what I thought the second I saw your picture, before reading your intro, Morocco! The blue stands out so well and I could see instantly where you were going with your garden. Can't wait to see it develop over time.
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

Thankyou everybody, we have set up a simple blog to show progress with the garden, and we will post progress (success and failures) on here as well, heres the blog link. http://elymajorelle.blogspot.co.uk/

And here are some pictures of our inspiration, the real Majorelle Gardens in Morocco.
Kiosque[1].jpg
Kiosque[1].jpg (65.62 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
Palmiers[1].jpg
Palmiers[1].jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 1708 times
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Welcome Ian & Tracy icon_salut

Like your idea icon_thumleft ......As others forum members have said, it will be good to see the progress & development of your exotic paradise ....

All the best
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

Code: Select all

Like your idea ......As others forum members have said, it will be good to see the progress & development of your exotic paradise ....
Thanks Tropicalwon, i see that other members have blogs on this site, i will start my own if i can, i'm just not sure if as i'm new here that i can at the moment.

Cheers
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Ian and Tracy icon_thumleft , Marrakech has always been my missus' favourite getaway :roll: .
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

grub wrote:Welcome to the madhouse Ian and Tracy icon_thumleft , Marrakech has always been my missus' favourite getaway :roll: .

Thanks Grub, glad the Missus' likes morocco, we've been twice to marrakech, mainly to escape the UK winter for a week, it's not to everybody liking (a bit mad and different) but the people are friendly, the weather is lovely and it's nice to try somewhere different every now and then.

Cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to the forum, Ian and Tracy, or should that be 'ya hala' icon_cheers

Must be the first Moroccan inspiration we've had for joining HTUK icon_thumleft

The Majorelle garden is one of our 'things to do' when Sand and I eventually retire to the Canary Islands. Nice to watch a hommage to the garden take shape in the meantime :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Ian & Tracy, Welcome to the forum icon_salut

A good start icon_thumright Taking pics along the way is important, as once completed sometimes it's hard to remember how much work went into it.

If you want to start a blog, start it in the main forum, with the word 'blog' in the subject, then I will move it to the blogs forum, as members cannot start topics themselves in that forum at this time. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by ElyMajorelle »

Thanks Dave, and thank you for creating this website and forum,
i've been reading about the progress of your washie for a while, it's what originally brought me to the site via google with a search on washingtonia robusta winter care.

I will take you up on the offer to start a blog on your site, it will be nice to show everybody the changes to our mini garden, we hope that this winter will be kind to everybody and that 2013 will be a great year.

I have several photos of the Majorelle Gardens in Marrakech, Morocco from our visit in january 2011, if possible i would like to share these with others in a gallery on your site when i can.

Cheers for now
Ian and Tracy
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

GREVILLE wrote:Welcome to the forum, Ian and Tracy, or should that be 'ya hala' icon_cheers

Must be the first Moroccan inspiration we've had for joining HTUK icon_thumleft

The Majorelle garden is one of our 'things to do' when Sand and I eventually retire to the Canary Islands. Nice to watch a hommage to the garden take shape in the meantime :D
Thanks greville for the welcome, retiring to the canary islands sounds like a great plan, we will be posting progress on this site and our blog.
Lets hope the winter is kind to everybody.
Cheers
Ian and Tracy
ElyMajorelle

Post by ElyMajorelle »

flounder wrote:Welcome. It will be good to see a pictorial diary of how it develops icon_thumleft
All I've got to do now, is google the original to see what you're trying to copy :wink:

edit
Ok, followed the link. The vibrant colours with the green of the planting, I like that. The only thing you might have a bit of trouble copying, is the weather!!
Thanks for the welcome, yes the weather will take some copying, but we live in hope...

Cheers