Hello from South East London and a query about raised beds

fern Rob

Re: Hello from South East London and a query about raised be

Post by fern Rob »

Hi, I've got the same problem with my lawn, it was once built on and because of the clay soil it is compacted and very wet. I think I'm going to lay a drain under the lawn and then re-turf. :D
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Jane, and welcome icon_salut

As was said I am on model making clay, and there are the sites of Roman Potteries about 1/2 mile away. These are my attempts :lol:
130508 Clay Model.jpg
20100625 Clay cup.jpg
20100625 Clay models.jpg
I spent many, many years trying to improve my soil, but the the end dug it out at every available opportunity. Improving the soil needs at least 75% of something else added.

I didn't go the raised bed route as I'm on a north facing slope, and raising a bed creates longer shadows in winter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by TroyDonovan »

Hello Jane

The best way to tame the clay monster is with raised beds . This also marinally helps the soil temperatures .

Troy
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dave Brown wrote:Hi Jane, and welcome icon_salut

As was said I am on model making clay, and there are the sites of Roman Potteries about 1/2 mile away. These are my attempts :lol:
Dave, stick to your obvious skills as a gardener. Your clay modeling is on a different level! :roll: icon_thumright
Jane Maddox

Post by Jane Maddox »

Thank you so much everyone for your replies. I had a family emergency which took me out of action for a while so I am sorry for the delay in saying thank you.

This is all very helpful and I think I will press on with raised beds. I am still trying to decide whether to have a go myself or to get a landscaper/builder in. I was hoping to do rendered concrete blocks but understand the problem of render coming away if damp and badly constructed. If anyone has any tips, please do share. Otherwise, thanks again for all your advice. Jane.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome back Jane icon_thumleft