my new tropical garden

RozDevon

my new tropical garden

Post by RozDevon »

Hello to everyone,
Have been enjoying reading everyones post for the past three months and have now joined.
We live by the sea in South Devon and have been gardening here for over 50 years!
Fell in love with tree ferns 15 years ago when I got one for OH 50th birthday with a half price voucher for local nursery opening! What luck! He ("Bruce") has survived outside in the ground all this time, wrapped with his own leaves over the crown and wrapped in double sacking bags and tied up for the winters. So far, so good! A few sleepless nights when we have been away on holiday to Goa in December but seem to have got away with it! We lost a smaller one in the back garden winter 2012. May have been a fern from the wrong part of Australia, apparently, so not so hardy.

Have just got a new 5' tree fern from Amulree which is marvellous. 10 fronds already and without roots.
Created a 4' x 4' bed, dug 18'" deep and filled with mixed composts etc as advised by members here, staked him, and planted underneath with local ferns, aquilegas, erythroniums, hostas, lily of the valley. Looks good so far. Gets shade midafternoon from apex of bungalow, sun morning and late afternoon/evening.

Used to have climbers on a fence in the sheltered back garden but the fence and posts rotted, so have had a change of plan now, and have replaced the fence etc, painted it green, gravelled all over, and got 50lt. black tubs and have planted tropicals.

So far we have a fig, cannas, spider lilies, begonias, blue salvias, astelia, and a quite large melianthus. Oh, and a little datura, white and flower upright. Looking for a brug now, like the peach hanging type, not easy to get round here.
Lots of succulents in pots as well.
Going to get a banana to go there as well but none available in the area at the moment.

Got a washingtonia and a phoenix canariensis last week, hav'nt grown them before so that should be interesting.

In another group of pots have a 5' fatsia and camellias in pots in semi shade, near the tree fern section.
kata

Re: my new tropical garden

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Roz!!

You'll be in great company for ferns with Rob. Nice selection of plants you have there.

Images are appreciated...thanks!

:lol:
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Roz :DD
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome! Sounds like a lovely garden. I'm a fellow tree fern-aholic. Great to hear you kept your large one love for all that time.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Hi all, thanks for lovely welcome! Such a nice forum, so friendly.
I have got such good advice here on which composts to mix for different plants.
My previous lack of success with certain plants is obviously due to not using the right combination of composts/grit etc.
I'm hoping I've mixed it right for the large tubs, will let you know at the end of the summer!!!
Temperature outside now at 8.35pm is 9c. A very chilly NW wind for the last few weeks (seems longer) keeping everything very slow growing.
The weather has changed here in the South West, not much SW misty rain like we used to get which was also warm.
Spring is getting later and later, at least a month late this season.
Forgot so say I have also two big Agave in big pots outside all year round, no protection at all, survived unscathed all the bad frost etc the last two winters. December 2012 it went down to -10c one night here so they must be very hardy.
Also Chamaerops survived OK out in the ground. Another which is hardy here is Eccremacarpus scaber, a beautiful climber, one of my favourites. Its up against the house wall in large tub with clematis, gorgeous plant. Seed like crazy so easy to keep some babies over winter.
My front garden is hedged around the edge two sides for shelter from wind off the sea. Other two sides low borders with euphorbias, camellias, azaleas, lots of low growing hardy perennials, grasses, herbs,agapanthus, etc. Pride and joy - new last summer - Euphorbia mellifera - suffered with bad wind burn on the leaves ( salty gales off the sea) but is now growing well and is about 3' high - hoping for flowers this year! Saw huge one at Heligan years ago and loved it. Wonder if mine will get as big as that!!! The centre of the front garden is mini bark mulch in a circle, no lawn to mow!! "Bruce" the tree fern lives happily in the corner of the border, underplanted with primroses and ferns. No shade, full sun (when its out!) and seems perfectly happy, so far. He has 14 fronds up about 18" at present.
Happy days!!!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome, do you have any other types of tree ferns as well as the Dicksonia antarctica.
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Hello, no only the Dicksonias. I only just realised there were other types of tree fern from reading on this forum recently!
Just goes to show its never too late to learn something new!!
I gather the other types are not so hardy? Is this correct in your opinion?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Dicksonia Fibrosa could be argued to be has hardy as D Antartica.
But some of the Cyatheas are stunning if you take the time to protect them in the winter.
Cyathea Medullaris is a great tree fern ,but needs protection through winter.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hi Roz, welcome. I've been holidaying down your way on and off for the past 35 years. I've actually been lucky with the weather, it's only rained most of the time!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Ha ha Flounder! Typical Devon weather for holidays! Good for plants, bad for our bodies!!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Hi FernRob,
looks like I'll have to start saving for a Cyathea now then!

Do you think it would need more protection than fleece in the crown and fleece all over?
Or maybe take it into a garage for the winter.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

RozDevon wrote:Hi FernRob,
looks like I'll have to start saving for a Cyathea now then!

Do you think it would need more protection than fleece in the crown and fleece all over?
Or maybe take it into a garage for the winter.
Garage for winter definatley.
Amulree have jut got some new C Medullaris in stock.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Roz icon_cheers

You seem a dab hand at exotics. Looks like we'll be picking your brains :lol:

Have roots in your part of the world. Not plants - family. Father and grandfather based in Paignton.

Where exactly are you? Answer in pictures, please icon_thumright
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

we are 7miles from Plymouth on the coast.
I'm not an expert on tropicals, just enthusiastic amateur.
Love the challenge of growing things I've not grown before.
Must be nuts what with this cold weather.
Have created 3 gardens over 42years, now in the final one I hope.
Love learning and talking to other like minded folks like you happy bunch!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Sorry, forgot to say not sure how to put photos up, but will get some help soon and show you my garden.
May be a week or two as we are grappling with a problem in the house! Don't ask..........