Hello from East London

wintomato

Hello from East London

Post by wintomato »

hi
thanks for accepting my registration. I live in east london, finally a home owner, so am continuing my passion for palms, which started over 20 years ago with mostly indoor palms.
I now have a beautiful Trachycarpus, cycas and a cordyline, and will be expanding the outdoor collection (with acceptance from my partner) with either a Butia and/or a Jubaea. I am lucky enough to have a south facing, sheltered, but small, garden. at the moment the cycas only gets full sun from 2/3pm, so may have to move it.

I am sure most people on here know more about palm care than me, but i hope i can contribute as much as learn from the forum
thanks
M
kata

Re: Hello from East London

Post by kata »

Welcome to Ht M,

Congrats on the new home I hope you spend many happy years there.

Pictures are good of house and garden. The browse function in the text editor is easy to use, its actually just after the posting area..

:lol: icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi M, and welcome icon_salut

Good plants to start with :wink:

If the Cycas is planted it might be better with full winter sun, if you can get it, as it helps raise the temps in winter and then is less likely to freeze :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome
Steph

Post by Steph »

Yippee another local & welcome!
I thought I was the only gardener in East London - it feels that way sometimes.
I am in Ilford where are you?
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to HTUK, M icon_cheers (You're not 007's boss, are you? :lol: )

I assume you have a new garden to go with a new home. Pics of progress, please icon_thumleft cos we're a right nosey bunch :DD
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

hi
thanks for the welcomes. I've uploaded a pic of our modest east london garden. I am based near Maryland. The garden was cleared and tidied up a couple of months ago, decking sorted, plenty of space for some palms in pots, not sure my partner will agree, so will have to sneak them in.

I haven't planted in the the ground the Trachycarpus or the cycas. The cycas will be overwintered in the garage, and i am not sure it's the right spot for it, as it only gets sun after 2pm in the height of summer, thanks to the large tree over the wall. A cherry tree?
As mentioned, I probably know the least on this forum, and only really have an interest in cultivating some hardy palms.

I rescued a couple of phoenix canariensis from homebase, but they've got a while yet before they look anything like they should.
Steph, I got the cordyline and cycas, and olive tree, and just about everything else in the pic from The Gardening Club in Crews Hill. They have some great specimens there, and a nice variety of palms. They were going to try and source a Butia for me, but no news yet. I got the Trachycarpus from The Palm Centre on ebay last year, and it's doing well. It spent the majority of the winter in the garage, but I let it do a few frosts. Do you know anywhere worth visiting in the area?

As you can tell, I am starting from scratch, as my collection from many years ago did not survive Norfolk weather. A different story for another time.

That's it, apart from a cactus my father grew from seed, that is now over 30 years old.

Too much info?

Thanks
Michael
Attachments
Garden.jpg
kata

Post by kata »

Whose is that main tree overhanging?

Does it have red flowers like Poinciana or Flame of the Forest Tree.

http://www.wifimundo.com/hotzones/spain ... trees.html

Its a nice space you have there Michael, take your time, give it plenty planning on paper gardens are created for us to enjoy.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Last edited by kata on Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Thanks. The tree belongs the communal garden the other side of the wall. I don't mind it being there, its blocking all the windows from the flats overlooking us. The flowers were all white, and now there are small cherry like fruits growing. My partner and I have a bet that its a cherry tree. I said no, because the flowers were white, I thought it might be a flowering pear?
thanks
michael
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Michael. icon_thumleft
wintomato

Post by wintomato »

Seen that phrase a few times now... starting to get worried...! :D
Steph

Post by Steph »

I agree thats a nice blank canvas you have there, eat the lawn away bit by bit and you'll have a brill garden.
CHGC is probably the best value around but they are limited on choice.
I use Harlow Garden Centre or Summerhills in Laindon sometimes but they have a mixed bag not only palms etc.
Columbia Road is a nice treat on a Sunday morning but for big palms, its online at various places - you'll soon pick whats where on here.
I know Maryland quite well, spent too much time in the Cart & Horses as a teenager, and the college.

I say the tree is a cherry, the local ones here were like ghosts with white flowers this year, flowers came before the leaves. Anyway you'll know soon enough the cherries are usually ripe at the end of June.
kata

Post by kata »

Seen that phrase a few times now... starting to get worried...!
Don't...Grub is harmless... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks about the tree, nice to have the communal garden next door unless its noisy...and hopefully they don't come leaping over your fence.

icon_sunny
Steph

Post by Steph »

Are you sure he's harmless?
Have you seen those shorts?
grub

Post by grub »

Steph wrote:Are you sure he's harmless?
Have you seen those shorts?
Oi! :lol: