Hello from Cornwall

fern Rob

Re: Hello from Cornwall

Post by fern Rob »

C Australis may be a good Cyathea to start growing as I think it would need less protection in winter than Cyatheas like C Copperii and Medullaris.
samj

Post by samj »

Thanks... I'll look into the C.Ausralis.

My In-laws have tried C.Medullaris outside a few times and not had any success, but the ones on Tresco are by no doubt the best tree ferns I've ever seen.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Imported C Australis are hard to get hold of, I think Trevena cross have some.
samj

Post by samj »

Thats handy, they are only a couple of miles from my house! I'll have a look next time I am in there..

Sam
multim

Post by multim »

Yup, Trevena Cross is the place to go. This is where my C.Australis came from 3 years ago for £80. Sorry about all the shade protection but it's been fierce sunshine and pretty hot here for the past three weeks. Currently 27c which is cool by comparison.
Attachments
P1010291.JPG
samj

Post by samj »

Drove past Trevenna Cross this morning and had to have a look. Each one looked quite different from the other, some had twisty / bendy trunks. The plant labels suggested that they can be as hardy as Dicksonia Antartica.. I am now very tempted to get one, my main problem would be finding it a sheltered position (we are very exposed where we are).

Multim: how much trunk has yours grown in that time? Im guessing that they grow more quickly than the Dicksonias.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have found that they grow at the same speed as Dicksonia antarctica.
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Welcome samj.Love the indivisas icon_salut
multim

Post by multim »

I guess that it's grown about 3 inches in 3 years. The frond/stem size is much reduced from those found in ideal situations, about 30% less than in the polytunnel at Trevena. I bring mine in for the Winter and it retains last years fronds well. If it was a D.A. last years fronds would have gone brown and scruffy. Another bonus is that is doesn't shed spores like a D.A.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

One of my C Australis sheds millions of spores in the winter
SueW

Post by SueW »

Hi samj, You're not that far from me, in Troon. We're pretty exposed too and get our fair share of wind and mist up here. Although my garden's very small and still got a lot of planting and growing to do I'm loving the challenge.

I can see the potential in your plot.... it's going to look fantastic methinks! :D
samj

Post by samj »

Hi SueW. It will be good to compare notes. I think with all the mizzle and mild temperatures, we are in an interesting area for gardening.
SueW

Post by SueW »

LOL yes, mizzle's the word for today.... at least it's topping up the water butts! :lol:

My garden's only very tiny; I'm hoping to create a pocket paradise in time though. This autumn should see the start of a bit of a re-jig, getting shot of the lawn (more planting space!) and re-directing the path to make it more of a meander. My trouble is, I need some height and growth in the garden. I have Trachycarpus and cordy, but they're still very small. I have a musa in the corner that's putting on some growth, but still the fence looks bare and... fencey! Luckily, time will change all that. icon_cheers
IMG_1538.jpg
SueW

Post by SueW »

In fact I had a quick scribble over a photo, on the computer... two ideas, one with straight borders and one more curvy...
gardenA.jpg
gardenB.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

The plans look great.