Hiya...what a great Summer!!!

Debbie

Hiya...what a great Summer!!!

Post by Debbie »

I have uploaded a few pictures,
Could anyone help with the following,
Is what I think is a Xanthosoma violaceum, is it ??

And could anyone identify the Musa? I grew it from seed this season and would dearly like to know what flavour it is...

And ( I don't want too much :-) do I ) my Colocasia esculenta, when do I remove the babies?

I shall be reading the site as to what do in the Winter as I guess over wintering could be an issue,

Many many thanks in anticipation icon_cheers
Attachments
DSC00946.JPG
DSC00947.JPG
DSC00948.JPG
DSC00949.JPG
DSC00950.JPG
B19bst

Re: Hiya...what a great Summer!!!

Post by B19bst »

Hi Debbie, welcome over.

Been a brilliant hot summer so far and the recent rain has helped also.

I am sure someone can identify the musa for u. I have a few ideas but don't want to look silly if its wrong. Haha.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the madhouse Debbie icon_thumleft Your Musa looks like a stretched Ensete Ventricosum to me, get it outside and let it push a few leaves to see if it stays elongated.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

The Musa or Ensete has been in and out of the conservatory to be fair, wind dependant etc...I don't think its etiolated but yep I'll give it a go, thanks :D it's about 8 foot now, what would you suggest feeding it?
grub

Post by grub »

Miragle Gro, quarter strength every watering or double strength every fortnight. I'm assuming you don't want to be using chicken pellets if you're bringing it indoors :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Debbie, and welcome icon_salut

Yes it is Xanthosoma violaceum. The petioles and leaf blades have that characteristic arch in them which Colocasia don't.

The Banana, mmmm..... does look a bit Ensete -ish, but one that has not has enough sun, as very tall and lacking in colour. The bit that is not normal Ensete is the blueish purple leaf bases near the bottom of the plant. icon_scratch If you grew it from seed what was it labelled as ?

Detach the Colocasia pups once roots have formed, and if not rooted well, remove all except the newest leaf on the pup. It doesn't look like an Eddoe as has stolons (runners). Reminds me a bit of C formosana. Is the leaf rounded or very pointed ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Debbie »

I have uploaded a couple more pics...
Leaf of the Colcasia is pointed, I think it is esculenta..... but what do I know! :-)

Another one of the Ensete...(seems to be favourite) but the stem this time, (put my hand in to give scale).... re the sun thing...been thinking about this :ahhh!: the heat in the conservatory has been in region of 100C often recently, perhaps that was the problem in the light/heat ratio?? the leaves don't have a blueish base ( trick of the light)...and they came from Thompson and Morgan entitled 'Musa exotic collection' :-)At least I know its a banana :-)
Bit disapointed I haven't looked after it as well as I should have done, I will feed it better ( thanks Grub :-) and pop it outside!
Attachments
DSC00951.JPG
DSC00952.JPG
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

grub wrote:Miragle Gro, quarter strength every watering or double strength every fortnight. I'm assuming you don't want to be using chicken pellets if you're bringing it indoors :lol:
If my poor Ensete needs chicken pooh....it shall have chicken pooh! sure it will only smell for the first year or so.. :-)
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome