Hi from Sropshire

tyanthos

Hi from Sropshire

Post by tyanthos »

Recently joined and very curious to know if anyone is into Hostas.???

I'm in South Shropshire and wondered if anyone has any tips on over wintering..........After the lovely few weeks of scorching weather we've had everything seems to be going into a steep decline.

I would appreciate any tips on hostas.......We've had two huge ones for some years now and have recently acquired a dozen new varieties. I was wondering if they will just stay outside and survive along with the large plants.

I don't have a greenhouse .......just a large unheated garage with plenty of light.

Thanks.......
fern Rob

Re: Hi from Sropshire

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome,
Hostas are hardy plants, I would not worry about them at all.
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Tyanthos, I like Hostas, can't grow them though :( . The slugs always beat me so I've given up :roll:
Steph

Post by Steph »

Mine have been OK year on year, potted no protection required.
In the ground they are a snack for the slugs.
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Tyanthos!

Any pics?

:mrgreen:
dino

Post by dino »

Same as Steph icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Tyanthos icon_cheers

You'll probably find most HTUK members are big fans of Hostas - trouble is slugs are even bigger fans :shock: As others have suggested best in pots.
tyanthos

Shropshire Hostas.

Post by tyanthos »

Hi everyone,

Are the conditions here in South Shropshire typical all around the UK...?

All of our Hostas are putting on loads of new growth and look extremely healthy......!

However night time temperatures are down to 3 or 4 degrees Celsius.

I have taken cuttings from many plants which have been doing really well and making new growth......but now I've had to make space in our garage to minimize any frost damage.

All the plants, shrubs and trees seem at the very least confused.......but saying that, the apples, plums, pears and soft fruits have been outstanding.

I have never noticed a growing season, apparently so misplaced and wondered if the rest of the country was the same.

Ty.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Hy Ty, Personally I'm not a lover of hostas they die down too early in the year for me on my sandy soil.The only one I grow is Blue Mammoth, nice and big and they seem totally immune to slug damage. icon_thumright