Palm Springs

Post by Palm Springs »

Hi,

As above Newbie in Northamptonshire... I have quite a few tropical looking plants at the front and rear of my property.
When we final have the extension built I will fill in the borders.

Joined the forum to see how I can take it a bit further and take care of the plants I have... Lost some bananas and tall fern last year :-(

I have one question Aust Cordyline - how to do you cut the flower back? looked on youtube no answers!
My flower stem is very thick and strong with several branches, I do not want to halm the plant but I feel it maybe preventing leaf growth? It does not have many leaves right now

excuse the terminology :oops: - I am a novice, will upload some pics soon if possible :-)

Any help appreciated
fern Rob

Re: Newbie

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome aboard Palm Springs icon_thumleft , you can just chop that flower off if you like or just leave it. Now the Cordyline has flowered it'll branch producing more heads, you've done well to keep a cordy going in Northants with the last few winters we've had.
Palm Springs

Post by Palm Springs »

thanks for the replies..

I fleece all my new plants which is most of them... I mixed some sharp sand into the soil to help drainage.
I maybe wrong but it seems the moisture in the UK is the issue regarding freezing? Some of these plants can tolerate the cold when in dry climates. So I think wrapping them in fleece stops them being too water logged when the cold kicks in?

I may be wrong.

I have had 1 Trachycarpus fortunei for a good few years since it was about 1ft tall which is now 5ft - has moved house with me, this seems to need very little protection... I plan to reduced the protection on other plants this winter as they should be getting more settled...

I probably have 10xCordyline Aus and similiar number of Trachcarpus Fortunei...
I have a couple bananas, the Basjoo stuggled but the sikkimensis survived better...
I lost a dicksonia antarctica first year but other ferns are still doing ok.

I plan to turn the back garden into a jungle type environment when the extension is built so hopefully provide some more shade and shelter for some plants :-)

Will be asking you guys for advice :-)
grub

Post by grub »

We'll be here and watching :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum PS,

icon_cheers
Palm Springs

Post by Palm Springs »

How do I upload pics? there is a members pics gallery - but seems no way to upload to it.

Took a few pics today on my phone which are now on my desktop -
I do use Photobucket bucket but it has privacy turned on as it has all sorts of personal pics on it, no idea how to share just some pictures?..

I use Flicker too but for a different reason - I guess I will need to open up a new account? or can I just upload pics to members gallery?

Sorry perhaps needed a new post on this topic... :oops:
kata

Post by kata »

Use the 'BROWSE BUTTON,

Write your message.
Don't click submit yet.
Click browse which is just after 'submit'.
When the computer file is found click 'ADD FILE' this is to your right of browse.

Look for the text editor, just under that is your Image in a small box.
Click where you want that file in your message, then click 'place inline' so you can add any text under it by pressing enter.

Now click submit.
botbooby.jpg
botbooby.jpg (17.13 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
My favorite birds the Galapagos Islands, they are doing a mating dance.

Here is the browse for Images
browse.gif
browse.gif (6.37 KiB) Viewed 1034 times
Last edited by kata on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Palm Springs

Post by Palm Springs »

Thanks for the detailed reply sorry I seem to be experiencing some technical difficulty... I can't find a browse button... :oops: only a File name, (choose file) add the file which could work....

I have upload them to photobucket - hope this works :-)

http://s992.photobucket.com/user/karlda ... ary/Plants