Hello from Belgium!

RenStimpy

Hello from Belgium!

Post by RenStimpy »

Hi,

I love reading this forum so I thought it was about time to become a member :)

I'm a tropic plant lover from Belgium. I really love to visit the UK, most of the time London but also Wales, and it's in the UK that I got the virus of trying tropical plants in my small garden. I visited several times the Open garden weekends being really surprised with all the tropical plants groing there. Also the Phoenics garden in London is really fun to be. And Kew gardens is one of my favorites!

At home I started with seeds of a Trachycarpus and a small Musa Basjoo. Both plants are really doing well and now I have many small palms and banana plants. Lots of problems with overwintering ofcourse :lol:

This year I tried several seeds and to my surprise they did very well, musa thomsonii, musa mannii, Adonidia merrillii. It's always a little magic seeing a seed sprout!

Kind regards
Rudy
grub

Re: Hello from Belgium!

Post by grub »

Welcome to the asylum Rudy icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Rudy and Welcome icon_salut

Central London can grow lots of plants that we may struggle with outside, but there is a lot that is more hardy. Now you have the bug will be difficult to stop.

Well done with the seed icon_thumright , but those bananas will have to be brought into some warmth in winter
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Welcome Rudy,

I have a friend from Belgium who has a friend called Rudy.

:lol: :mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome Rudy.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to HTUK, Rudy icon_cheers

In addition to exotic gardening flowing through our veins, both my wife and I have a little Belgian blood, too icon_salut
RenStimpy

Post by RenStimpy »

Thanks for the welcoming comittee and the Belgian connections icon_sunny
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hello rudy and welcome. icon_salut
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

Welcome Rudy, growing exotics is like a drug and most of us are addicts. :)
billdango

Post by billdango »

Welcome to the forum Rudy,

Now you are hooked on exotics the only possible cure is to grow more exotics?

Otherwise a slow descent into mind numbing depression may happen.

So stay sane and fill your life with palm trees and Banana plants and live.

billdango icon_thumleft
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Hi Rudy,welcome.I like your phrase "got the virus" :) We would probably say,caught the bug.But your term sounds much more serious and appropiate.Do you have many good exotic plant outlets in Belgium?
Andy.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Welcome Rudy :D
kata

Post by kata »

"got the virus"
Do you think the above quote would get us a sick note.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: rather than 'caught a bug'?
RenStimpy

Post by RenStimpy »

Half Hardy wrote:Do you have many good exotic plant outlets in Belgium?
Andy.
Hi Andy, we have several good exotic plant outlets. I don't get to visit them often since I don't have a car. I had one near the city that I live and a few years ago I bought a flowering Musella Lasiocarpa. It produced lots of puppies and I even had a second smaller flower. Unfortunately this shop closed. But nowadays even supermarkets and diy stores sometimes have palms or exotic plants on offer so it's becoming more common. Although it is nicer to buy them from someone who's got more knowledge and interest in the plants.

Rudy
RenStimpy

Post by RenStimpy »

kata wrote:Do you think the above quote would get us a sick note.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: rather than 'caught a bug'?
A sick note would be handy. At least twice a year, once in spring and once in winter :lol: :lol: