dasylirion wheeleri

fryv20

dasylirion wheeleri

Post by fryv20 »

hi im Adrian new to the forum always been interested in tropical looking plants got some of the common more hardy plants ie trachycarpus chamerops im in south wales {Swansea} ive just bought some dasylirion wheeleri I think these are going to to better in pots here lots of rain they are 5l plants so not small but not massive either id rather put them in final pot size now what size pot do you recommend how deep do the roots go thanks adrian
kata

Re: dasylirion wheeleri

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Adrian,

I have never grown those plants before.
they are 5l plants
An image of what they are in now would be good.

icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome to the forum icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Adrian, ans welcome to the forum icon_salut

I can't help with the Dasy other than to say many get huge, and are too big for my arid area, that's why I don't have one.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by multim »

I planted a good sized one last year. It's doing well....very well, and flowering. I'll attach an image showing the start of the flower taken 26th August. The flower is now easily 3m tall. I'll take another image when IN flower.
Attachments
P1010307.JPG
P1010306.JPG
dino

Post by dino »

Mine's in an arid bed. Hasn't really done much this year (first year planted out) I cover in the winter to prevent getting wet as i think it's the wet rather than the cold that kills them.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Hi Adrian, and welcome to the forum icon_cheers

I have real fond memories of my now deceased wheeleri :cry: It had been in the ground from a baby and just started a trunk and was looking nice. It took some low temperatures here prior to December 2010, a -9, -12 and -17 (which killed it). I have no idea how deep the roots went as they were all mush when I dug it up in 2011. Yes, I left it 12 months before digging it up just on the offchance it sent out an offset :lol: It didn't. If it hadn't been for Dec. 2010, I'm confident it would still be with me.

I wanted to buy another wheeleri, but instead opted for the serratifolum. I think I prefer the wheeleri though.

I found out an old thread when I gave it it's first haircut :lol:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... es#p121763

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

That was a nice one Di,

Keep your head away from sharp Agave plants... :(

Its a pic but worth a look

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1950-Wild-Dicksonia antarctica ... 415ac69c89

Offering an original 8 x 10 Wire Photo of Wild Dasylirion Cactus. Photo is dated as Mar 19,1950.
shorepatrol37

Post by shorepatrol37 »

Welcome Adrian to the Forum.

Potted my larger Trachycarpus up in a nice big pot earlier this year.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

hi Adrian,you would be better off making yourself a raised bed,doesnt need to be huge but deep enought to let the roots spread easily and get some oxygene.two thirds grit/gravel to one third compost would be plenty of soil.
if it needs moisture the roots can go deeper if they want to.i think they stagnate and rot in pots.
just my opinion tho,you might be better off trying to catch Paul S on gote,hes a wizzard on these kinds of plants
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
multim

Post by multim »

I think that the flower has reached total height so just waiting for some sunshine to help encourage the flowers to open.
Meanwhile, here are a couple of images.
Attachments
P1010325.JPG
P1010326.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

WOW
multim

Post by multim »

Just a quick update to show that the flowers did open regardless of the rain and the storm.
Attachments
P1010341.JPG
P1010340.JPG
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It did well.
kata

Post by kata »

P1010326.jpg
Good Lord multim, thats awesom!!