Hi from Wild Wet Wiltshire

mand

Hi from Wild Wet Wiltshire

Post by mand »

Hi, I don't grow exotics outdoors, only lots of succulents indoors and one Cycas revoluta which I inherited. Lately developed a yen for a banana too, but that's a bit ambitious as I'm better at plants that need neglect and can overwinter happily.

I have a horrible feeling I joined this forum last year or the year before, but no idea what my username would have been or the email I might have used... so here I am, either a newcomer or repeating myself... :oops: (I did try some searches on the various phrases I would have asked about back then, but can't find me. It has just occurred to me to search on "Wiltshire" but now I can't search, there's only "Search Phoogle" which doesn't let me in.)

Anyway here I am. I'm returning from a few years of distance from the real world because of ill health, which has meant all my gardening has had to be indoors for want of energy, raised beds, help, and other necessaries. Before that I wasn't interested in plants at all! Now I'm very into succulents, particularly Crassula and Sedum of all kinds, and Aeonium, plus others. I inherited the Cycas which I do remember begging for advice on, somewhere online. It's small.

My garden is paved-with-gaps (yuk) and weed-ridden; no grass, a couple of trees that are small but in the way, not much soil at all except for one or two big beds, and lots of strong winds. The front gets plenty of sun though (south-west), while the back gets hardly any all day. I live with visions of how it will be when I get it to fall in with my vision of how it will be - lucky I enjoy planning. :D

I'm going to go and find the right forum for my cycad questions now.
billdango

Re: Hi from Wild Wet Wiltshire

Post by billdango »

Hello Mand,

Welcome to the forum.

I can't help you with the questions you are asking about indoor plants as I only grow palms and bananas but there are a lot of people on this forum who can help you.

Good luck.

Billdango icon_thumleft
grub

Post by grub »

Welcome back to the asylum Mand icon_thumleft
mand

Post by mand »

Thank you both :)

I may be asking about bananas next year, yet to make my mind up. I'm considering a super dwarf or I've come across (online) the Little Prince...
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

well done Mand,glad you found your way back icon_thumleft icon_thumleft and hope the health issues are getting better icon_salut
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
mand

Post by mand »

redsquirrel wrote:well done Mand,glad you found your way back icon_thumleft icon_thumleft and hope the health issues are getting better icon_salut
Thank you :) yes, at least they're a stubborn lot but I'm sussing a regime that makes a HUGE difference. (Kicking out the stressy ex has made another huge difference. ;) )
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Mand,

Enjoy!

icon_cheers
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Mand icon_cheers

Healthy plants nurtured through the auspices of HTUK are just what the doctor would order :mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome
mand

Post by mand »

Thanks peoples HI :mrgreen:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

How many banana plants have you got at the moment?
mand

Post by mand »

At the moment zero! :lol: :!:
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

You could do with buying one to start the collection :lol: icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hi mand and welcome to htuk. Im just gettin'g into succulents for outdoors, currently trying to overwinter some in my unheated greenhouse, i have been doing some research for next year as hoping to buy more varieties, they scare me a bit as they look way to tender :mrgreen: but i really like them and think they are tougher than they look. Hoping to buy a var named Flapjack amongst others next year so might be picking your brain :wink:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i like kalanchoes but the cat loves to test new plants here by having a chomp on them so unfortunately,like cycads etc,i cannot really afford to try them.

caring is easy tho,as this you tube vid suggests,they tolerate dry air so good for indoors icon_thumleft
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzQAhT26pAo
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure