Looking for pointers.

Doc86

Looking for pointers.

Post by Doc86 »

Hello,

First of all thanks for all the info you guys have compiled here, I have been lurking for a while now.
As a newbie to the world of exotics this forum has seemed to be the go to place to get hints and tips for my experiments and research as to what I can grow.

I am based in Bristol and am about to start a fairly large project in my garden including a fair amount of Landscaping. I am designing the garden and obviously I want to fill it with exotic plants and create somewhat of an illusion of the tropics. This being my first attempt at this I experimented last year with some easier plants like Musa Basjoo, Cannas and a couple of palms (Phoenix Canariensis) with great results.

So... I am going to start putting together a list of plants that I intend to fill my garden with in the spring/summer all going well with the construction. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions or tips as to what I should go for or avoid. The garden is fairly big and sloping currently and I am baring the plants in mind when I come to landscaping it hopefully creating a few different micro climates.

any help would be awesome.. Cheers

P.s. Since Playing with Basjoos I have become obsessed with huge leaves the bigger the better, any gems you know of?
Blairs

Re: Looking for pointers.

Post by Blairs »

Welcome.

Some huge leaf plants:

Petasites japonicus giganteus aka Japanese butterbur
Rheum palmatum var. tanguticum
Gunnera manicata - with time!
Giant hogweed - it has issues...

Tetrapanax
canna musafolia
Ligularia 'Zepter'
Fatsia
kata

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum Doc!

There must be loads of big leave Plants, I only grew two a Basjoo and an Ensete.

The Ensete, least mine did grow big leaves if a trifle short in height. I am hoping to uncover a monster come the Spring. :lol: :lol: :lol:
ensetem2013.jpg
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Tetrapanax is a definite, I had seen them around but never knew what they where called cheers Blairs.
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Cheers Kata!

The colour on that Ensete is brilliant, that would look great mixed in with the greens of basjoo and alike. Did that come up in one season outdoors?
grub

Post by grub »

Obsessed with huge leaves the bigger the better huh? Welcome to the asylum Doc icon_thumright
flounder

Post by flounder »

Hi Doc
phormiums can have leaves over 6ft long, but not too wide. You've got to add the strappys and spikeys in with your large leaf fetish :wink:
Don't forget to add the photos of your progress, we like photos
kata

Post by kata »

I bought one off Dave (boss here) and lost it Doc,
dave.png
I then bought another.
firstday.JPG
It grew from this.

It was £7.50 with postage from ebay.

icon_cheers
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome you need to plant a Dicksonia antarctica or two.
kata

Post by kata »

Hmm...I agree and forgot the Ferns,

I got into them last year about mid - summer.
dicsoniaa2.jpg
That cost about £50 inc p.p but the more you buy the more you get in log size. They also come minus the leaves, just water (everyday) and watch the magic unfold.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Doc86

Post by Doc86 »

Thanks for all the replies guys!

fern Rob wrote:Welcome you need to plant a Dicksonia antarctica or two.
I recon I can find a space for a Dicksonia or two. I also like the look of shuttle cock ferns. I will have to read up on the best spot for them.
flounder wrote: phormiums can have leaves over 6ft long, but not too wide. You've got to add the strappys and spikeys in with your large leaf fetish :wink:
I agree with you on that flounder, phormiums look great to add volume to borders and I am looking at getting a few more palms to get that mix in texture.
pdid

Post by pdid »

Welcome to the forum!

Pan Global plants isn't too far from you for some more unusual gems:

http://www.panglobalplants.com/
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

What landscaping have you done? I am concentrating in landscaping this year so any pics would be welcome! So far my idea is to facade all my raised beds in decking boards or render them and to add edging to lawns. I extended the patio area last year, moved several borders completely and have just created another border from a steep path. I also need to add plants to borders from pots.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Doc86 wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys!

fern Rob wrote:Welcome you need to plant a Dicksonia antarctica or two.
I recon I can find a space for a Dicksonia or two. I also like the look of shuttle cock ferns. I will have to read up on the best spot for them.
flounder wrote: phormiums can have leaves over 6ft long, but not too wide. You've got to add the strappys and spikeys in with your large leaf fetish :wink:
I agree with you on that flounder, phormiums look great to add volume to borders and I am looking at getting a few more palms to get that mix in texture.
If you look after them then a slightly shaded area would be fine. icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to HTUK, Doc icon_cheers

A few bamboos grouped together will gave you some immediate height and if carefully sited can create all kinds of effects. For example, a backdrop and shelter for summer bedding of large leaved beauties.