troubles with stobilanthes persian shield

dthom

troubles with stobilanthes persian shield

Post by dthom »

i purchased a few persian shield plants last spring. they looked beautiful when planted and for several months after but soon started to struggle. i think this was due to a little too much sun. i potted them up and stored them in a glass house under shading to over-winter them. i know they are probably fairly dormant now but i thought they may recover. what i am left with now are pathetic looking things with brown not purple leaves. what has gone wrong? what should i do with them now? if i cut them down will they reshoot in the spring/ summer? i have never had so much trouble looking after a plant before and am at a loss. :( icon_scratch
i have been online and read a lot of things that seem to contradict each other so i would be very greatful for any advice from anybody with experience with these.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: troubles with stobilanthes persian shield

Post by Dave Brown »

Tropical plant that needs min temp of 8C to keep going. If your G'house is colder they may have gone into terminal decline. They don't do dry well either, so need watering when kept warm enough. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by dthom »

cheers. should of mentioned the glass house is heated at 16 degrees C.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I would have thought they would have kept on growing if your greenhouse has a min of 16c
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Can you post a pic? Brown leaves can be a number of things so a pic will help.
flounder

Post by flounder »

More info needed. Are the leaves crispy brown which could be a sign of under watering and fatal, or soft and brown which might indicate too wet, rotting and fatal or a host of other things. Weevil attack from below soil level maybe
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome