New Member! Dracaena marginata, in a sticky situation.

mastiff87

New Member! Dracaena marginata, in a sticky situation.

Post by mastiff87 »

Hello all, I am new on here and I live in a currently very wet Devon with my Madagascar Dragon Tree. This is the only plant that I have and have ever had and have become quite fond of it :) I also unfortunately have very little knowledge of plants.

I have had it approx 2 years during which it has happily always been in the same spot and was re-potted last year.

THE PROBLEM:
In December I went on holiday for a couple of weeks and I had a dog sitter look after my dogs and unfortunately took it upon himself to drown my poor tree!!! I returned to happy dogs but a very very unhappy tree, the soil was absolutely sodden and had been sat in a lot of water for more than likely the entire 2 weeks I was away!!! The leaves went very droopy, also a lot of them went yellow and lost a few, I obviously didn't water it again until I felt the soil was dry enough to, it seemed to be recuperating the yellowing had stopped and it wasn't as droopy, BUT then a new issue has emerged the tips of near enough all the leaves are now turning brown and odd brown/yellow spots have appeared on some of the leaves and today I discovered nasty red looking sap underneath a few of the leaves tips??!

I have attached some photos hope these help.

Please could someone kindly advise, would be gratefully appreciated as I really do want to help it...

Thank you.
Attachments
DSC00616.JPG
DSC00617.JPG
DSC00619.JPG
DSC00620.JPG
kata

Re: New Member! Dracaena marginata, in a sticky situation.

Post by kata »

Welcome to the forum mastiff!

This may help
It is a Dracaena, not a yucca, and your moisture-holding soil will do it in unless you mix a LOT of grit (perlite, tiny aquarium gravel, chicken grit from a feed store) into the mix when you repot. Cut back any mushy or black roots to cleaner, firm places and when you're through layering in the soil again, do not press down to 'settle' it, but let it breathe - but you should just tap each layer as you go along so there are no gaps around the roots. Water slowly when done, til it reaches the drain holes (no bottom layer of rocks please!) and allow drain water to go down the sink - never sit the pot in it as that's how rot can start. They like lots of light all day, which is more important than very intense light for a few hours, so somewhere with light from more than one window would be good if you have a choice.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Welcome icon_thumleft
flounder

Post by flounder »

Welcome.
I had this issue a few years ago. Same thing, overwatering.
They are prone to dripping sap and all I can say is it's a stress induced thing, mind you, if you were half drowned you'd blow bubbles as well!
Mine survived but not before losing a couple of stems and most of it's leaves. Try to keep it on the drier side for a few months. It might cause the leaf tips to brown up a bit but could also help its recovery. Watering with rain water rather than tap water is always better. Whilst it's being kept drier, occasionally mist the leaves. It'll help against any insect attacks like red spider mite.
Sorry I don't have a more optimistic view, but you might be shopping for a new plant in the near future. :(
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome, Mastiff icon_cheers

Some good advice on here. If you can get your plant through next summer showing a new flush of healthy leaves on top combined with self-pruning of the lower ones you should have you plant back in rude health.
mastiff87

Post by mastiff87 »

Thank you all for the great advice, it has given me a glimmer of hope that it could hopefully be ok in the end providing I keep to being a little neglectful when it comes to watering.

My fingers are crossed!

One other question, is there anything I can do with the brown tips should it manage to survive this? As in should I just leave them or cut them off?

Many thanks again :)
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'd leave them. If you go in to a hospital ward full of sick people, there's not many having a manicure! :wink: