Introduction plus Canna question

Volksman999

Post by Volksman999 »

Hi. Ive just joined the forum and thought I'd introduce myself and ask my first question.

Many years ago I owned a few palms and banana trees but, later on, lost the bug for gardening. I have rediscovered it recently and have now set about transforming my garden. I have pulled out everything that didn't have a tropical feel and now have a reasonably large and almost empty space. My intention is to create a tropical/jungly feel. I already have a couple of decent sized banana trees, some small palms (2 chaemerops, one Washingtonia, one Trachycarpus and one Phoenix Canariensis) a yucca gloriosa, a couple of decent cordylines, 3 fatsias and a number of bamboos, cannas and ferns and lots of hostas (which I love). That sounds like a lot now I have written it all down, but the garden is still very very empty at the moment. As I said it is a tropical/jungly look that I am after and I am quite happy to include plants that are neither tropical nor jungly as long as they feel right (hence all the hostas!).

My question is this. Last weekend I saw this amazing canna. The leaves were split into green and purple but not in the usual variegated way. Most of the leaves were purple on one side and green on the other. The owner told me that it was Canna Sport of Tropicanna. However, I have searched on the web and can find nothing. Has anybody else heard of this plant and can anyone tell me where I might be able to get one?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome. Good to hear you have the bug! Sounds like you have some good plants to get you started.

I use Hosta alot but it's a nightmare keeping the slugs at bay.

I suspect the Canna was called Cleopatra. One of my all time favourites! I'm not sure where you can get one from and be very careful as so many have Canna virus (all Canna not specifically Cleopatra). I got very lucky and found mine from a seller on eBay but I've bought quite a few plants this year from different sellers private and commercial and the quality / packaging has been dreadful.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Volksman999

Post by Volksman999 »

Thanks for the response. I looked at the pictures of C Cleopatra on Google and that would appear to be the one. I might go back to where I saw them and see if I can persuade the guy to let me have a rhizome or two.

I put lots of slug pellets under my hostas and for the last few years have been very lucky. A few leaves have been nibbled at but the vast majority have been left alone. I'm always amazed at how cheap hostas are at garden centres. One week they're £8 each and the next they're being sold off for £!. Most of mine have been given to me or have cost less than £3.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Welcome V999 nothing really to add to what Tom said other than to re-iterate about the Canna virus be careful who and where you buy from. I personally only buy mine from reputable sellers who guarantee them virus free you pay more but that's my choice,
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Welcome to HTUK, V999.

Ditto the info on Canna. They are a good choice to quickly fill spaces in subsequent years if grown well. They will bulk up and multiply well by division. Look out for the giants like Ehemannii and Musaefolia.
charliepridham

Post by charliepridham »

Canna virus means I have stuck to the three I have got, for me I can leave them in the ground for late flowers or bring them in then plant out in spring for an earlier show

Imagecanna panache by charliepridham, on Flickr

Imagecanna braziliensis by charliepridham, on Flickr

ImageCanna iridiflora by charliepridham, on Flickr
Volksman999

Post by Volksman999 »

I went back to where I saw them and the guy there gave me a pretty decent sized plant. Aren't people nice! Happy holidays!