Mikael

Post by Mikael »

hi my name is Mikael and i live in Denmark, our climate is to cold for a proper tropical garden, but i have some tropical plants in containers, (they take up a lot of space indoors in the winter), and i hope i can get some advice from this forum
tatter

Post by tatter »

Welcome Mikael to the forum. Plenty of advice to be had just ask away.There will always be someone with the answer. icon_salut icon_thumleft
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. What is your minimum indoor temperature in winter? Do you keep plants in the greenhouse for winter or the house?
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

some of the plants are kept in a outbuilding, the coldest i have measured in there is -4 C, the rest of the plants are kept in the house i dont know the minimum temp indoors, the one i´ve had the longest is a cordyline i´ve had it 18 years now
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Welcome. Sounds like you have a very challenging climate. What's the average low temperatures in winter? I have some tender plants and keep in a polytunnel outside which has a small electric heater in it.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

As Tom asks, how often is it down to -4?
Mikael

Post by Mikael »

the average temp in winter is -3, but we usually have many nights without frost and some nights it may be as low as -15 to -20 C. last winter was unusually cold and long, i think maybe 3 or 4 times i recorded -4 where the plants are and the outside was close to -15 on those nights. this winter we had a lot of days with below 0 but that is rare, the lowest average daytime temp in winter is +2 in jan. i am hoping that most of the plants that can tolerate -8 to -10 and lower will survive in that room the next many winters, all other plants will be keept indoors
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Mikael icon_cheers
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Welcome, ever thought of emigrating!!!!!! icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.