Fertilising palms

GeordieGardener

Fertilising palms

Post by GeordieGardener »

Hi all

I am new to hardy Tropicals so hi!

I have been growing my tropical garden in sunny Newcastle upon Tyne for the last 5 years and can be found on instagram at geordiegardener

I am new to the forum and am looking to pick your brains regarding fertilising my collection of palms. I have a bottle of palm focus and palm booster. I am wondering if when watering, I can combine the two in one watering can, as I’m conscious of over watering if I have to apply at separate occasions.

I have a couple of trachycarpus, a Washingtonia, butia capitata, a couple of CDP and all bar a large trachycarpus are potted in large containers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Andy, the GeordieGardener
tatter

Fertilising palms

Post by tatter »

Andy Welcome to the forum,
Palm focus Is a fertilizer
Palm Booster is a root stimulant good for establishing new plants.
Why not if you wish to use both just alternate focus one week and booster the next,We are coming to the end of fertilising time though as you donot want to have soft new growth going into winter.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLEAJ

Fertilising palms

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Alternating the watering Is an ideal answer to your palm care regime, Andy. However I wouldn't feed beyond August but you can continue the Palmbooster for another month. Promoting the smaller roots till the end of September with the booster will be beneficial.
chainsaw kid

Fertilising palms

Post by chainsaw kid »

Wayyyyy ayyyyy man, Geordie,

I just use a 6 month slow release fertiliser in early spring then forget it. Saves all this messing about watering. (except this year). :roll: icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.