MedwayNPJ1

Post by MedwayNPJ1 »

icon_tomato Afternoon. Joined from Medway. Not the hub of the tropical world so I do my best to make it as tropical as I can. Need some ideas of plants I would like to grow, shouldn’t grow in the UK and help when it’s going wrong. My ‘tropical’ allows some very British plants as well!
tatter

Post by tatter »

Welcome to the forum Medway .Plants it all depends on what you call Tropical and what look you want to achieve.
Jungle/Mediteraian /Arid or a mixture/ Plenty of so called British plant can be incorporated .Fatsia varieties /red hot pokers/coleus/spider plants annuals are endless. You are probably in a more favourable location than a lot of us so you have a wide range. Do you have any particular plants in mind.
Plenty of help available just ask away. icon_thumleft icon_salut
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Echo Tatter''s greeting and comments. Don't be afraid to ask.... :wink: Most of us are a right bunch of know-it-alls when it comes to exotics and even the not so exotic. (I've dared to mention Forsythia more than once on this forum :lol:)
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Welcome Medway, wasn't there a famous sea battle called the Medway? Any way I digress, before we can help we need to know what sort of soil you have and what your minimum temperatures are in the winter. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. We have quite a few hardy perrenials to support our tropical style plants. I like large leaves so use hostas and ligularia. I struggle for shade but Ive managed to squeeze a brunnera in under everything else.

I look at designs I like then try to find a suitable plant that looks similar but more suited to our conditions.