New member seeking advice

SallyG

Post by SallyG »

Hi, I came across this website whilst searching for advice on how to move a trachycarpus fortunei. I have two large trachycarpus palms in my compact town garden which I need to move sometime between now and June next year due to a planned extension.

They were about a foot tall when first planted in a raised bed back in 1997/98 and since then have been happily growing taller each year with the larger of the two standing at around 20ft. The last thing I want to do is have them cut down as they’re handsome healthy trees, so ideally I would like to put them up for sale as I’m aware that mature trees are sought after.

Today I had a tree surgeon round to assess the situation. He said he thought that it shouldn’t be too difficult to lift them with the right equipment but then what to do with them? Trouble is he’s not very familiar with these trees as a species and I’m concerned that he may end up fatally damaging their roots.

I would be very grateful for any advice on how best to go about successfully getting the palms moved and a hopefully find a buyer for them.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi sally, they will transplant, but there a hell of a size without equipment & manpower!. I'm all for saving them but there not really sought after once they've been dug out...this is due to the re establishing time/aftercare required.I'm sure someone local would snap your hand off....don't expect to much££££££.
tatter

Post by tatter »

HI Sally welcome to the forum. I have nothing to add to what Karl as told you but would like to know what eventually happens to the palms
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow