Been away but now I'm back

allanplantpost

Post by allanplantpost »

Allanplantpost here, used to post as allangreenbean but for the life of me I haven't been able to get it to work so gave up and created a new account.

Been growing cold hardy tropicals for nigh on 9 years and I like tropical or jungle looking plants that are evergreen and can survive a typical UK winter.

This does rule out a lot of great plants but I've only got so much room in the garden and my goal was to achieve a tropical looking garden year round.

People says: "Your gardens a bit of a jungle"
I says: "Sweet"
grahamfx

Post by grahamfx »

Welcome back, I'd be interested in a list of some of the plants you grow if you don't mind, as you say "evergreen" I'm assuming you don't protect them at all ??
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome back, Allan. icon_cheers

Many like you out there who just need a new ID......and I don't mean a change to growing Forsythias and Roses :lol:
allanplantpost

Post by allanplantpost »

grahamfx, Yes, no protection at all. I do try to be sensible about placement for plants that are borderline. I have a standard city garden with fence so don't get the cold winds of exposed rural locations. We tend to get a few -5c at night in winter and rarely gets -9/10c. Some of the plants I have been growing:

Trachycarpus - the usual suspects although I have some hybrid seedlings and yesterday some Bulgaria seeds arrived which I bought not for their purported legendary hardiness but because of the allegedly stiffer leaves.
Yucca - gloriosa and variegated, filamentosa and color guard, aloifolia purpurea (tender/not tender) seen mixed reviews and elephantipes (has taken sub zero temps last few years, some leaf damage as expected but nothing too serious)
Phormium - various, haven't lost any yet but got some leaf damage last year.
Cordyline - Various plus New includes Charlie Boy, hardy as standard Cordy.
Coronilla
Ceanothus
Loquat
Evergreen ferns
Olives
Ivy
Aucuba - sulphurea, picturata, salicifolia, february star

plus some unusual climbers and shrubs that the names escape me for now but they're definitely in the garden somewhere

I also still have a Musa basjoo growing that has braved the weather, its the only tender plant I have and is only still there from early experimental days, i'm sure many of us here experimented in their younger days :)

GREVILLEAJ, lol, like witness protection, Forsythias and Roses! I know I'm old but not quite over the hill yet.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Welcome back. Anyone who joined after 2014 have had to re-register hopefully more will come back as we move towards spring
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
allanplantpost

Post by allanplantpost »

tatter wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am Welcome back. Anyone who joined after 2014 have had to re-register hopefully more will come back as we move towards spring
Thanks tatter, was wondering what was going on.