Another newbie

Leaporlepor

Another newbie

Post by Leaporlepor »

I'm a new member. I grew up on a farm and we grew a lot of our own fruits and vegetables. We also had an ornamental garden and I loved it. I used to do a lot of gardening but due to disability I can't do much outside nowadays. I'm looking to start a collection of house plants to indulge my love of growing things.
GREVILLEAJ

Another newbie

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Leaporlepor icon_cheers

A number of well ķnown houseplants serve as outdoor exotics for some members here. We're going to be fascinated by your exotic houseplant preferences icon_thumleft
Leaporlepor

Another newbie

Post by Leaporlepor »

Thank you Grevilleaj. I have a love of succulents, cacti and carnivorous plants but I would like to learn how to keep orchids and bonsai trees.
tatter

Another newbie

Post by tatter »

Hello and welcome to the forum Lea. As for houseplants there are plenty of succulents available to grow indoors,
quite a few palms suitable for indoors ,aspidistra, rubber plant, maybe even a Banana plant(how about a dwarf cavendish?).As the kid has said on your other thread Bonsai really belong outdoors and only brought indoors for short periods.How about some carnivourus plants (monkey jar is a good one I have one in a north facing window)I will find its proper name later for you. Look forward to hearing your progress
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Leaporlepor

Another newbie

Post by Leaporlepor »

I have a Venus fly trap and am fascinated by carnivorous plants so would certainly be interested in getting other types (I also despise flying insects so carnivorous plants have an extra benefit). I am considering some ferns and a snake plant for the bathroom. I'll look into indoor palms as floor standing plants have a good appeal as I've limited surfaces for pots (they have to contend with photographs, a large number of books and my teapot collection). It's a shame about the bonsai but I'm sure I'll find an alternative.
tatter

Another newbie

Post by tatter »

HI Lea
As promised the carnivorus plant I refered to Is known is called a Nepenthes commonly called Monkey cups/jars.
Remember though that the need a medium with no nutrients (I use irish moss peat with perlite) and only water with rain water.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow