Platyceriums shedding leaves

Tom Londonroad

Post by Tom Londonroad »

I'm new to the forum and joined in the hope that someone can help with some platycerium queries.

I have mounted Bifurcatums and Alcicornes which have been doing well on boards for about 18 months. Over the winter they are in a heated outdoor office and to start with continued to put on new growth. However, the last few weeks both plants have suffered with yellowing leaves which ultimately fall off. They've had small amounts of water, always waiting till the sphagnum moss around their bases is dried out, with regular misting. A few weeks ago I put banana skins under their shield fronds for a few days but removed them after I decided this would serve them better in the spring / summer.
The leaves which aren't suffering appear robust and healthy until for no apparent reason they start to yellow.

Do Platyceriums shed leaves in the winter naturally or am I doing something wrong?

I also have a couple of Veitchii which are mounted on stone. Can anyone tell me if these require less water? In nature they live in the desert so I'm assuming they're happiest dry.

Hope there's a greater mind than mine that can help!
tatter

Post by tatter »

welcome to the forum to start.Whilst im no expert on staghorn ferns yellowing on leaves on any plant is usually down to one of the following.overwatering underwatering lack of nutrienrts or too cold. The choice is yours but also look for any infestaion of some kind like aphids etc.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Tom Londonroad

Post by Tom Londonroad »

Thanks Tatter. I'm working with the options.