New member from Poole/Bournemouth

Josh

Post by Josh »

Hi, I'm a new member from the Poole/Bournemouth area. At the moment all my tropicals are in pots as I have to rent. I'm lucky that my winters are very mild, but my summers are drought like, no rain for more than a month at a time. I'm eager to learn from all the experienced members here as I would like to try lots of different plants and see what might survive. I will look at uploading some images of my current plants
grahamfx

Post by grahamfx »

Welcome Josh !!
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. I used to grow in pots hidden by permanently planted hostas.
tatter

Post by tatter »

Welcome Josh nice part of the country you live. i also grow some plants in pots as well as the garden.
If you have dry periods that are a problem for you you could try varies arid plants like Yuccas and Agave`s.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Josh

Post by Josh »

Thanks for the nice welcome. I have thought about some more drought tolerant plants but I hope to create that jungle look. I have purchased 2 200L water butts to hopefully lessen my water bill this summer
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Josh icon_cheers

Your water butt is one of the best acquisitions for your garden. If you are keeping potted plants longterm in a relatively dry climate the sustained use of tap water leads to a buildup of salts which can ruin the pristine condition of many exotics.
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

Josh wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:30 pm Thanks for the nice welcome. I have thought about some more drought tolerant plants but I hope to create that jungle look. I have purchased 2 200L water butts to hopefully lessen my water bill this summer
Yucca and agave do fit in well with a jungle theme. They give a nice contrast to the large leaves that form the base of jungle foliage. If everything is the same shape the foliage gets lost in a sea of green.
Katej

Post by Katej »

Hi Josh! I’m a new member (just introduced myself a moment ago) I thought I’d just say hi because I live in Parkstone, so really nice to find someone so local.

If you’ve not been already, I would really recommend visiting Michelle and Palms-Exotics, Romsey, and also Crawford Ferns at Spetisbury, they both offer very good advice and the quality is very good.

Also FYI, Canford Manga had a huge delivery, truckloads of plants from Spain the other days. Great variety, everything from Cycas Revolutas to Acers which are really well priced. Except the tree ferns, those made my eyes water!
Josh

Post by Josh »

As I did mention in my first post here are some images of my current plants

My Musa Basjoo, Sikimensis, Queen Palm and Mexican Blue fan

Mediterranean Date Palm, Dwarf Fan, Trachycarpus nova

Jubaea Chilensis

Sabal Yapa and Cordyline

Jasmine, Blueberry bush, Bamboo Palm, Monstera deliciosa, Parlour Palm, hosta, Acer and a few weeds

Please excuse the quality of the images they had to be resized to be uploaded.

The banana's have recently both pushed out two leaves and all my palms except the Sabal as far as I can tell have new fronds, the Date Palm has about two.

Most of these plants I have bought in the last few months, except the Mediterranean date and fan, Cordyline, Jasmine, Acer and blueberry bush. I have also just purchased a good sized Musa yunnanensis which will arrive this Wednesday.