Lottie Les

Post by Lottie Les »

Hi All.
I'm a newbie to tropical plants all thanks to Gardeners World and You Tube, I just love the big structural plants even though I only have a standard sized new build garden I am keen to add some height and structure to my small plot. I will also be doing a tropical garden for my disabled daughters courtyard garden, which a very sheltered and sunny.
I was hoping to do her garden on a budget but the prices of some of these plants wow!
So to keep costs down as I'm on a pensioners budget have bought some banana and cordylene seeds and managed to get hold of some Trachycarpus cutting. Hopefully I will live long enough to them to maturity haha.
Lottie Les

Post by Lottie Les »

Thanks to Gardeners World I'm having trouble finding any Tetrapanax Papyrifer Rex plants, those that are for sale are beyond I can afford.
Anyone have any spare cuttings I could purchase please.
tatter

Post by tatter »

HI Lottie and welcome to the forum. By u tube i hope you have looked at Yorkshire Kris`s videos as they are superb and inspire. Bananas and T.Rex pup quite readily and im sure some one will have some too spare.I unforunatly dont at the moment.Has for cost oit depends on where you shop places like Homebase B&Q sell plants at reasonable prices ie yuccas trachys cordylines etc (even Sainsburys have been known to sell Banana plants (as house plants)). Plants like Tarro you can buy the tubers cheaply at Asian supermarkets or our local Asda even sell them(as root vegtables) easy to start into growth.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Chez2

Post by Chez2 »

What do you think is affordable? Some unusual seeds are quite expensive and you may only get a few in a packet.

We have been growing a lot from seed and sold the excess plants to go towards more seed and gas to heat the polytunnel. Plants are heavy to post so will probably cost anything from small to medium parcel, approx £5.50 to £8 we have found. We have posted a few of ours but its hit and miss if we have a suitable box as we are not a business.

We currently have a few Bomeria hirtella and pineapple guava at £5 each plus P&P. These plants are almost a year old now.