Cheshire Tropics

Jonty2

Cheshire Tropics

Post by Jonty2 »

Hi everyone, I started my 'Jungle' last year starting with the following. I have no experience and just pick what I like the look of and following a bit of research about it, I also have plants that were gifts that don't really fit in but my borders are not full so I need to take what I can! I like the exotic, tropical jungle look and hopefully will achieve something similar in the coming years. I have probably mixed plants which experienced people will disapprove of but again I am just looking for a mix of colour, different shapes, some quick growers, low ground covering plants and palms.

In 2018 I had:
2 x Trachycarpus Fortunei
1 x Cordyline (although there are 3 together making one big show, may need advice on how to split these at some point)
1 x Phormium
1 x Musa Basjoo (I've mentioned this in the Banana section, just uncovered and doesn't look healthy :( )
4 x Canna (Rhizomes have just been plants, fingers crossed they grow again this year!)
2 x Camelia (Gifts)
2 x Rhododendron (Gifts)
1 x Beatrix Forsythia (Gift)
3 x Yucca (Going to put these into pots as they are too spiky for the dogs)
Lots of Lupins which I plants from seed as I was bored (These are looking really good!)
1 x Capagnula
1 x Sedum

2019 I've just added:
1 x Phormium
1 x Dicksonia Antartica
2 x Fatsia Japonicas
1 x Choisa Sundance
2 x Photini Red Robin
1 x Salvia
2 x Musa Basjoo
3 x Hosta
I also planted some Rudbekia and Crocosmia from seed so will see how these get on.

I want a Musa Sikkimensis too but I dubious after uncovering the Basjoo and finding it was rotten.

If everything settles in then the garden should look really good in a couple of years.
Chez2

Cheshire Tropics

Post by Chez2 »

Hello. Sounds like a nice mix. We have a exotic / tropical style in one small area but ours isn't jungle. we also have arid / Mediterranean areas. Do you have a greenhouse or somewhere to keep tender plants in winter?
tatter

Cheshire Tropics

Post by tatter »

Hi my Sikkimensis came through winter fine as i described for the Basjoo in the Banana section. You can cut the point off the Yucca cut just above the leaf if you so wish. Nice collection though
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Jonty2

Cheshire Tropics

Post by Jonty2 »

Thanks.
I don’t have a greenhouse but my parents do (unheated) maybe I could put the bananas in there next year.
Would you recommend keeping them in a pot planted in the soil so it is easier to remove them? My garden is not huge so I don’t them to grow too tall.

If I place them in the greenhouse do I still wait for first frost a wrap them or take them in before the frost?
GREVILLEAJ

Cheshire Tropics

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Jonty icon_cheers

You've got off to a good start with your selection. I note you have gone for a lot of safe and reliable subjects but with a good deal of flair. After 35 years in my current garden I still include 'traditional' among the 'tropical'.

You obviously have a lot of ideas and a desire to experiment. Put them on individual threads as you have done and that will promote a lot of note swapping.
Jonty2

Cheshire Tropics

Post by Jonty2 »

Thanks Grevilleaj, I’ve tried to go for lot of evergreen and perennial to try and keep the base of the garden intact year on year and then add a couple of extra items each year