New member from Birmingham

Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi there,

I stumbled across this site while researching palms. I'm a newbie to this forum and quite a newbie to palms.

I had a Trachycarpus years ago. Just one in a pot but I lost that to my ex when we spilt up. I've always loved palms, exotics and tropicals but never had the right garden. Fast forward 10 years later. I'm married, settled and living in a house I never plan on moving from. It has a beautiful garden but it very much an English country garden. Over the coming years I would like to turn this into a tropical paradise.

I have had a Trachycarpus Fortunei for the last year and I have just bought another 1, 2 Washington Robustas, a phoenix canariensis and a chamaerops humilid.

I'm hoping to learn a lot from your expertise. Because I want quite a lot of trees and plants and as they can be quite expensive I think I should learn how to grow from seeds.

Stu
grahamfx

Post by grahamfx »

Welcome Stu, I'm quite a newbie myself, like yourself trying a lot of stuff from seed, got Cannas, Bananas, Ricinus and Melianthus on the go !!
Stu

Post by Stu »

Hi Graham,

I've got a greenhouse so I'm planning on buying done seeds after doing some research.
Do you know Is now a good time to start germinating?
tatter

Post by tatter »

Hi Stu and welcome.Where in Birmingham are you?
Now is just about at the end of sowing time depending on what you want to grow.
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
Stu

Post by Stu »

I'm in kings Norton (near kind heath)
I'm not sure what I want to grow yet assist from more Trachycarpus's.
I need to do more research. Some real hardy stuff to start with until I get more knowledge.
MonkeyDavid

Post by MonkeyDavid »

I'm also Midlands (Telford) & have now got a few years experience on what does well...or not...Trachys are bullet proof, get waggys as well as Fortunei just to mix it up. Sorry to say but canary palms & Washintonias are not long term, with protection they will survive some winters but the 1st bad winter will kill them. Chameorhops will survive all but the worst winter.
Non palm, try T rex (mine is in the ground 7 years & is BIG) likewise gunnera if you can give it enough water.
Try Miscanthus gigantus, musa basjoo, phormiums, Hardy yuccas are good too,
tatter

Post by tatter »

i agree with all of monkeydavids suggestions however i would disagree about Chamerhops mine came through the lasr really bad winter all be it with a rain shelter to keep the snow out of the center of palm. Also add Clumping bamboo (select carefully).Cordylines are good(not everyones taste i know). Agave Montanna is excellent as well.May i suggest you have a look at some of Yorkshire Kris videos on you tube .Musa Basjoo needs protection if you want to preserve the psedostem ,otherwise it is root hardy and will regrow from the root
Jim
I'm older than yesterday but younger than tomorrow
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Stu. icon_cheers

You'll enjoy seed production but don't forget to use your greenhouse for cuttings and divisions. There's a huge amount of exotic and hardy material available.

Many members share out material. You can research some plants you like and put out a request.l
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thank you for your advice. I will check out everything all of you have said.
I bought the Washington Robustas, and phoenix canariensis because they had them cheap in Tesco of all places. I thought I would just give them a try knowing nothing about them and that they may not survive.

I've just planted 25 Trachycarpus Fortunei in my greenhouse today. I'll have a look at getting some Waggy's to go with them.

I'm also looking to get some bamboo to mix in. What is the best (easiest and hardiest) to get?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Hi stu, I have various bamboo's for sale from time to time, and fargesia robusta campbell would be an easy one for you to start with...although ANY type of boo's need regular containment whether its a clumper or running type.
karl.
chainsaw kid

Post by chainsaw kid »

Stu, another palm you could try is a Jubaea if you are looking for a feather palm for a bit of varity. icon_thumright
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.