Cordyline Australis

Summersong

Cordyline Australis

Post by Summersong »

Hello New Member here. Right you are going to have to excuse my ignorance. I have picked up a couple of Cordyline Australis in the sale at a local garden centre. As you can see from the attachment below they are quite spindly. I was really planning on planting these in the front garden with a view that over the years they would grow into 2/3+ meter trees ( the sort you see in Devon etc) My question is will the trunks ever get wider/fatter or as they have been potted and grown like like this are they always going to be thin and spindly? Sorry for probably what some of you may think is a truly ridiculous question. My gardening knowledge is not the best;-)

Many thanks in advance
Attachments
E1DCCE5C-3FE8-490D-B3A8-4796E92353ED.jpeg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Cordyline Australis

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi There summersong, and welcome to the forum.

Young Cordyline australis always look like that, but the trunks thicken with age. They are actually tree proportions in some places.
New Zealand's largest Cordyline at 17m tall.
New Zealand's largest Cordyline at 17m tall.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Cordyline Australis

Post by Summersong »

Thanks Dave for the reply, yes I guessed they would. just they are around 6ft high( to the top of the highest frond) and have such a spindly trunk compared to others I have seen around the same size. Was worried if they continue to grow at a fast rate they the will get top heavy and snap.