New from Hereford

DaveH

New from Hereford

Post by DaveH »

Hi, my name is Dave and I have been growing herbaceous perennials and bedding professionally for 30 years. I have dabbled with topicals over that time but have had a bit more success with them over the last few. I have a 20 foot Trachycarpus that has lived here almost as long as me, a musa basjoo and sikkimensis, I have tried colocasia not with much success at overwintering yet. I am currently trying to overwinter bilbergia nutans which I have planted in the hairy trunk of the palm,it has survived temps down to -5 so far, has anybody else had any experience growing these outside in the uk.
charliep

New from Hereford

Post by charliep »

Welcome to the forum Dave, I have seen them attached to the Trachycarpus trunks at Wisley but have no idea whether they were cheating or not!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
GREVILLEAJ

New from Hereford

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Welcome to HTUK, Dave icon_cheers

I too have grown Bilbergia nitens in the 'hairy trunks of my Trachycarpus'. ( Forgive me! I'm trying not to make this sound rude :lol: ) Certainly successful for a few years before a freeze does them in. I take offsets from an old large potted specimen to replace those lost.
chainsaw kid

New from Hereford

Post by chainsaw kid »

Hi Dave welcome.

I to have had little success with colocasia! Then I remembered what Andy Cap used to say " If at first you don't succeed pack it in and don't be a Charlie". That works for me every time. :wink: :lol:
Don't Just sit there, plant something!

The Kid.
charliep

New from Hereford

Post by charliep »

That's me stuffed, I have to be a charlie!!
Charlie Pridham
Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk