Hi im new here

neonlights

Hi im new here

Post by neonlights »

hello everyone,I'm martin, I'm so happy i found this site,been trying to find people for ages that like gardening,let alone tropical plants as much as i do.

i have lived in bournemouth going on 4 years now but i don't have my own garden here.i acquired my step mothers garden over the 10 or so years i lived with her in southampton and redesigned the front garden.

i have a nice collection of plants sum in pots and sum in the ground from bananas, bamboo, cordylines and palms of which i have a large Butia capitata.

this is the only desent photo i have at the moment which is 3 yrs old, so it has matured alot since, i will post new ones when i manage to get out and take some,

cheers for now :D
Attachments
n1345876599_59799_1512.jpg
Davey

Re: Hi im new here

Post by Davey »

Welcome to the site Martin. I am a newish member as well. It's a good site, lots of varied topics and friendly gardeners full of good advice. As you can see from some of the posts weather is the main topic, how do you think your palms are coping? :) I spend much of my time just reading various threads, often opinions differ, but learnt lots over the past few weeks and I am now raring to go in the summer.
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

Very nice Martin. That looks like a Model garden. I bet you have spent lots of time on the Autobahn up and down the Trans Europe Express collecting plants. Only with the help of a Pocket Calculator you be able to work out the cost of all your purchases.

Regards
Imran
eyefi

Post by eyefi »

why the kraftwerk refs?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Martin, and welcome icon_salut Your step mother's garden is looking good :wink: Any plans to get one of your own :?:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick »

Welcome martin, more photo's please when your able to get out of course, is that the butia in the brown pot in the middle of your photo, so are you in Bournemouth or Southampton living now :?: :?: I bet up to date photo's will look stunning if there is that a bigger time laps between now and then :lol: :lol: I for one can't wait to see them :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
neonlights

Post by neonlights »

Hi, thanks for the grate welcome.

i will try and answer all your questions.
firstly I'm living in bournemouth at the moment,which is nice,not being far from the beach but i live in a small 1st floor flat so no outside space :( i cant wait to own my own garden,but think that's along way off yet! but with my garden in southampton i only get to go to it 3 or 4 times a month due to petrol funds!

the weather is driving me crazy at the moment,cant wait for the spring.
that is my butia in the brown pot in the photo, I'm abit worried as the soil in its pot is frozen solid! i hope it will be ok :?: as i think i have already lost some plants ,some of which i grew from seed .

over the years i have spent quite alot of money on plants don't ask me how much,i also get alot off free plants from dividing or cuttings.

these pics are what it looks like at the moment,not very impressive as alot has been cut back or has since frozen!
Image0024.jpg
Image0025.jpg
once the snow melts i will take some better pics and include my other palms ect :D
Nick

Post by Nick »

Don't worry no ones garden is up to much at this time of year mine begins to go down hill around the middle of September and looks good again about early May so don't be down hearted by what it looks like at the moment, it might be better to show it in it's full glory :) :) but it's your chose at the end of the day.

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Imran Khalid

Post by Imran Khalid »

eyefi wrote:why the kraftwerk refs?
Neon Lights was another Kraftwerk song from the 1978 Album Man Machine which also contained The Model. I was somewhat younger back then. I assumed NeonLights had chosen his name from that song but maybe not.
Birmingham Chris

Post by Birmingham Chris »

lol! you're far too clever for us Imram!

Welcome N.L icon_cheers
Simba

Post by Simba »

You hav some lovely big Cordys there, and a great Butia.
I am looking forward to seeing the new pix when the covers are taken off..... icon_thumleft
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Where abouts in Southampton is your mothers garden, those pics remind me of Eastleigh.
neonlights

Post by neonlights »

yes your correct my step mums house is in eastleigh, forgot to put that in last posts, the house backs on to the old Pirelli site. :)
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

Hi mate don't be nerves of giving us questions as everyone on on here is everyones friend we would be delighted to here you questions you have, as you would be hearing ours. ;)
grub

Post by grub »

neonlights wrote: once the snow melts i will take some better pics and include my other palms ect :D
How are things looking now Martin?