Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Blowover Repair

Doug-Tews

Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Blowover Repair

Post by Doug-Tews »

I posted about 2 weeks ago my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP blew over in a terrible gale. :roll: After combining my own thoughts with those from helpful HTUK and EPS members, I came up with a solution.

After clearing the decorative rocks away, it could be clearly seen it was not planted deep enough. The base had a rounded, bulbous shape which allowed it rock about. It was decided to build a raised planter enabling the palm to be buried deeper.

After the planter was constructed, angle iron stakes were driving in at 8 points surrounding the planter and chains used to hold the palm back upright.

Some John Innes #3 was then packed and washed in around the lowest part of the air gap covering up a few exposed roots.

To hopefully guard against rot, several bags of sharp sand were then mounded up immediately around and next to the trunk. This would help hold it in place, but be very well draining. The rest of the planter was filled with about 50 bags of John Innes #3, tamped down and watered.

Since the repair, we've had several other good gales, but the palm appears held rigidly in place and hasn't budged. The trunk is now about 6 inches deeper than it was.

Thanks again to everyone's thoughts and suggestions! :D
Attachments
CIDP-blowover2.jpg
CIDP_repair_1.jpg
CIDP_Repair_2.jpg
bobbyd44

Re: Phoenix canariensis_CIDP Blowover Repair

Post by bobbyd44 »

some goood work their doug looks a great palm and hope the changes help it to carry on doing so well.
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

perfectly done, thumbs up from me,
palmking

Post by palmking »

That's the right way to do it, Doug-superb!

Paul
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

should suvive the once in a thousand year storm now.... maybe theres an opening on the island for plant anchoring...

must have cost a few bob though, all those bags of compost and the like
MoonCup

Post by MoonCup »

I know you are well meaning, but to place a palm into bondage is un-natural and a violation of the natural order.

Your palm can make its own recovery without such restrictions.
Danny Thomas

Post by Danny Thomas »

MoonCup wrote:I know you are well meaning, but to place a palm into bondage is un-natural and a violation of the natural order.

You started on the wine early tonight :lol:

(Sorry Doug, but this person is crackers)
ElTel

Post by ElTel »

MoonCup wrote:I know you are well meaning, but to place a palm into bondage is un-natural and a violation of the natural order.

you ca put me in bondage sweetheart lol
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That is great Doug and should solve the problem well icon_thumright The only comment I have is I would not have raised such a large area :wink:

Ok having seem the recents posts another comment I have is....the palm would not have sorted itself out, Mooncup :roll: . While it is rocking it cannot get additional roots into the ground to anchor itself.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nigel Fear »

Good luck with that one Doug, hopefully with a mild winter the roots will establish and self-repair, or at least replace any that may have severed.

Are you going to add any gravel to the newly raised bed?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dont worry Doug, the wind up merchants are out in force at the moment.
Doug-Tews

Post by Doug-Tews »

Dave Brown wrote:The only comment I have is I would not have raised such a large area
The apparent result is not what I anticipated. In fact, this new planter is only a few inches greater across than the original circle of stones. However, by squaring it off and raising it, the final result looks huge. The balance should improve with time, as the palm is still not up to it's final diameter in size.
Nigel Fear wrote: Good luck with that one Doug, hopefully with a mild winter the roots will establish and self-repair, or at least replace any that may have severed.
Are you going to add any gravel to the newly raised bed?
My past experience with this palm has demonstrated the roots do indeed continue to grow throughout the winter, despite the top being apparently dormant.
The stones are not going back in. My landlords were also shocked by the sudden massive appearance and it was decided a sea of black stones would be too much. Instead, I intend to plant a green groundcover...perhaps some Hypericum. :)
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Doug, given a year or two then the planter could be removed and the bed size could be reduced with just a mound up to the new level, your landlord would should be fine knowing that.
davidjonesUK

Post by davidjonesUK »

Look's good as new, WELL DONE!!!! :D :D icon_thumleft icon_thumright
kentgardener

Post by kentgardener »

Good job Doug - that will keep it upright until it gets its roots down. Once it does it should be able to cope with any wind. Here is one I saw at Christmas (it was bloody hard to stand up it was so windy!)
Attachments
Windy palm
Windy palm