My Begonia luxurians

weve

My Begonia luxurians

Post by weve »

Hi all
Had a PM about my B. luxurians, thought I'd post a reply rather than do so direct as it may be of general interest.

My planted specimen hasn't fared well this winter, despite being fleece rapped and being in the most sheltered part of the garden. All top growth has died down (although I have been told (in a previous post here) that it may shoot from the roots if it has been mulched, which it has been, so just need to wait and see).

They have apparently survived winters in Torbay (Dave Poole"s????) but I would not describe them as at all hardy, going on my experience. My (back up) potted specimen was brought in for the winter when the night-time temps started to fall to about 4c, but even at this temp it started to defoliate and suffer. Indoors I have had dieback on all my side-shoots too (from which I hoped to take cuttings, can't now!), although the main stem is starting to produce leaves again.

If my planted one survives going to relocate it to a more easily protected position. if not will plant my potted one but will lift before next winter.

Shame they are not hardier as they are nice plants. Might try one in the greenhouse tho' (when i finally erect it!!)

The only outlet I know of is Hill House nurseries, Devon, who generally have a few in spring selling for £7. 50 (but with quite expensive carriage costs).

hope this helps!
weve
DiCasS

Re: My Begonia luxurians

Post by DiCasS »

The other night I was looking on CGF site and noticed they had this on their 'encyclopaedia' page, and Bob gives it a 10. Maybe they will have this available in Spring. Also noticed it available at Hill House, but worth ordering a couple of other things to go with it to make up for the delivery cost. I tried this from seed a couple of years ago, but had no joy with it, but haven't seen the seed available since.

Thanks for sharing your findings Weve, they look lovely plants but a Winter greenhouse plant here I suspect.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
tenchy

Post by tenchy »

delivery costs muck it up for loads of things :lol:
Chalk Brow

Post by Chalk Brow »

I have one in the greenhouse, it is still in full leaf. The temperature in the greenhouse is set to a minimum of about 4C. However due to some failures on twelve or more nights the temperature has dropped well below that, on two nights it dropped below freezing. Yet the begonia is unaffected, in fact the biggest problem is remembering to keep it watered. Maybe the fact that the daytime temperature on each occasion the heating failed went up to at least 7C has something to do with it.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

There are so many plants that are happy with chilly to cold temps at night ONLY if well within their comfort zone during the day. The problem is the mins they can cope with are recorded but not the other conditions. Then we get told.... hardy to -5C etc, but really it needs a mean of +5C, so extremes of -5C and +15C in a 24hr period. :roll:

Generic example, not figures for Begonia luxurians :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by metalhammer »

Yes,but work out the cost if you had to drive there.I have just purchased a Schefflera macrophylla & 2 Tetrapanax papyrifer 'Di-Sue-Shan' from Crug Farm,cost of p&p £35,if I drove up there it would cost me about £80 for petrol + about 13hrs behind the wheel.

Another example,I just had a big box of Agapanthus come from Broadleigh Gardens in Somerset,weighed about 12kgs,p&p £5.50,if I had to drive there,it would be about £25 for petrol.

metalhammer.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

i looked hte plant up after looking at your avatar!! isthat it.. well any way it does look a great plant, will wait to see if they grow back from the roots before buying,as i dont have a green house!
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

I thought your avatar was a Scheff or a Manihot,what a dummeeeeeee!!!!!.

Will have to look around for one.

metalhammer.
weve

Post by weve »

Metalhammer

No probs :D :D :D Its amazing its effect & popularity and confusion it caused tho'
Immediately I put up the avatar, i had so many enquiring pms about it, I had to include its identity in my signature!!!
have fun
weve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This is the one at Wisley at the Inter Fora meet on 31st Jan. Very impressive and was in the colder part of the Greenhouse opposite the main doors, so maybe goes to 5C with chilly drafts
Attachments
20100131  Wisley  big bigonia.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by metalhammer »

Have enquired of Hill House if they currently have any available,they are listed at £9 each.P&p is £10.50,but I would have to put about £30's worth of petrol in my motor to go & get them.

metalhammer.
weve

Post by weve »

Another Begonia luxurians pic, (not Hill House, i think it was a cover on the begonia society magazine) but unlike most pics, it shows a really large specimen (if only........ )

enjoy
weve
begnovdec05rtopti2.jpg
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Weve,to far to travel for me,guess you'll be looking at a 250mile round trip,& they'll send them for £10.50,would pay £20 if need be,I'd still be in hand over the amount of petrol required.

I'm going to order 2 today,they are being released in early March.

metalhammer.
weve

Post by weve »

Metalhammer
Hill House is only about 9 miles away from me, so I'm lucky and it will be a good learning visit too. I'll also ask about the "unknown" schefflera that members (and myself) have, that is supposed to have "originated" from the one growing in the gardens there. (Never seen it tho')

They are only releasing my Begonia early 'cos I'm local. I think they prefer to send plants only when slightly bigger. All the luxurians I saw there last year were excellent plants and well packaged too, so you should be very happy with yours when they arrive. I quite understand why you're not travelling that distance tho'

BTW They told me, in passing, they may be increasing their stock for next year to meet demand, so they may become more available.

best
weve
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

A question,does luxurians require shade,part shade of full sun.

Hill House told me that they were being sold from early March,going to post off my order this morning.I don't put card details on the net.

metalhammer.