Amaryllis from seed

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
Nick R

Amaryllis from seed

Post by Nick R »

Hello :)

I've got 3 Amaryllis plants as houseplants, one of which I pollinated when in flower and it produced quite a large amount of seeds.

I read somewhere that they can be floated on water in order for them to germinate, which I have done, and many of the seeds now have a root growing out. Does anyone know when they should be planted up into compost, how they should be planted and what medium is best for planting them up?

Many thanks,

Nick :DD
Chad

Re: Amaryllis from seed

Post by Chad »

The houseplant Amaryllis are botanically hybrid Hippeastrum.

I haven't grown them, but was intrigued by your questions, and have found answers to them here.

Please post how you get on, you have inspired me to look at this genus more closely.

Chad.
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Dead easy,just sow them shallowly in compost,cover with about 1cm & keep at about 21-23c,they usually germinate quite quickly.I grew 100's back along,they were my first real foray into exotics.Produced my own hybrids to.They usually,if grown well take about 3 years to get to flowering size.

metalhammer.
Nick R

Post by Nick R »

Thank you Chad and MH :D Really helpful info on how to germinate the seeds and also what to do next.

Really pleased to have inspired you with the Hippeastrum Chad :D They are such beautiful plants I'd definately recommend growing some, the flowers are really amazing, I've got 2 different varieties 'Minerva' (of which I'm trying the seeds) and 'Apple Blossom' (which didn't pollinate so easily, got one seed pod and trying to dry it out before opening it for the seeds). There are so many varieties, some are really exotic looking! I think this year I'll try some other varieties, although I have one small problem, not much space on windowsills in my house anymore as I've filled most already!!!

I sowed some in compost MH as you suggested, so will see how they get on, I may have a much lower germination rate with them though as the seeds were around 4 weeks old (I should have refrigerated them I guess!), whereas the ones I floated on water were fresh from the seed pod.

Will definately let you know how I get on with them all!

Nick :DD
Petefree

Post by Petefree »

They are nice - I've never thought of trying them from seed. My sister often gets me a bulb for Christmas and they flower profusely, but although I can keep them alive for years, I struggle to get them back into flower (I think the bulbs are forced to flower at Christmas?)
There are some allegedly hardy varieties of Hippeastrum around now. I've seen one listed called something like "Toughie" I'm tempted to try.
Nick R

Post by Nick R »

Just a quick update on the seeds, the ones which I floated on water some have now started to grow thier first leaf! Which is a promising sign, I will wait until they all have a leaf and then will pot them on :D

Also noticed something with one of the parent bulbs, it has sprouted a leaf from the bottom, so I'm assuming it has a bulblet/bulbil (not sure of the correct term!) attached to the parent bulb, maybe this can be separated when the parent goes dormant then potted up separately?

Nick :)
metalhammer

Post by metalhammer »

Yes,or you can leave it on there to become a clump.

metalhammer.
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Nick R. - sounds like your well on the way. I was given a bulb at Christrmas, which was potted up in the kitchen whilst lunch was being prepared (I wasn't popular). It's now looking great with 2 large blooms and 3 buds. I was interested to know how to care for it and found this document which may help you all in both care and in propagation of the species icon_thumleft

http://www.clemson.edu/psapublishing/PA ... rtLF63.pdf
Dave in Warrington

Post by Dave in Warrington »

Took a photo today ....Amaryllis, Apple blossom
IMAG0002.JPG
So I have something to remember it by if it doesn't come back next year :lol:
Nick R

Post by Nick R »

Thanks for the link Dave :) Your Amaryllis 'Apple Blossom' is looking great!

A quick update on my seeds, the ones which I floated on water are looking great at the moment, nearly all have a leaf!! I think I might pot the bigger ones up into compost now, but I'll take a photo of them on the water and try to upload onto here :D

As for the ones I put directly into compost several weeks later, I have one tiny seedling, I don't think many will grow as I had the seeds lying around for a bit long I think, but one is better than none icon_thumleft
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Only just read this topic but very interesting. I have some (hardy) Amaryllis ordered from T&M due for delivery next month. I'm undecided about planting out at this time with the last two winters we've had, somehow don't think they would be hardy in the temps we,ve seen, but if I decide the potted route I'll see if I can get them to seed :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Nick R »

I think I saw those Amaryllis too on T&M, I was tempted to get some but I had already ordered much more than planned!!! You'll definately have to let us all know how you get on with them outside if you do decide to plant them out or in containers.

My indoor varieties were the first plants which I have successfully pollinated myself which was really exciting :D I had tried to pollinate my Hibiscus houseplant but that was unsuccessful, although it may have been as I used pollen from the same plant, maybe it would work if I used pollen from one of my other Hibiscus plants. With my Amaryllis (Hippeastrum) I pollinated with pollen from that particular plant.

I've since pollinated my Cyclamen, which now has seed pods, and also my Clivia (Bush Lily) which has one pod that is slowly ripening, no idea what to do with the Clivia seeds when I get that far, that will be a separate topic I think! :D