Dioon Cycad germination time?

Forum rules
This section is for discussion on all methods of plant propagation
sanatic1234

MY CYCAD

Post by sanatic1234 »

After 3 weeks in the heated prop and using the sand and gravel mix. i have managed to get a root on all 3 seeds that are growing! and are now about a inch in length. But still no top growth. no sprout at all. Surely i should of seen something by now. I checked on this cycad forum and apparently Dioon's are one of the quickest to germinate. So what am i doing wrong i am wondering whether or not to mix some compost with the sand and try this method with the gravel still on top. but surely doing this will increase the chances of fungicide?
I am so confused as to what to do.
redsquirrel

Re: MY CYCAD

Post by redsquirrel »

christ sanatic,if you are impatient at this stage,i hate to think what you will be like if they dont flush every year. by that i mean 1 leaf in a lot of cases
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Re: MY CYCAD

Post by sanatic1234 »

As soon as i see the sprout redsquirrel i will be happy. i am the same with all me seeds. Its like my heliconas i put them in my prop after soaking them for 48 hours this was 3 weekd ago and nothing not a thing.
kata

Re: Dioon Cycad germination time?

Post by kata »

I posted in here and when I clicked post reply it said this does not exist

Strange.. :lol: :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

very strange icon_scratch
kata

Post by kata »

It was this thread for sure,

I was lol at RS talking about your patience, or lack of it.

:mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Do you think my seeds are doing fine then? This is my first attempt at growing these so have no idea on how fast they do grow apart from this forum on cycads said they are the quickest to germinate. I do know that cycads are a long term commitment and i have got plenty of years to watch it grow just like my Dicksonia antarctica's :lol: . I can be very impatient. I am also a perfectionist which is even worse. :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Sanatic, I have merged this topic as it is the continuation of the same subject, and is far easier to follow if all under the same topic name. :wink:

You are far too impatient to grow Cycads :lol: . In three years time you may, if you are lucky have 3 fronds, but as Darren said, don't bank on it. :roll: Go get youself bananas, Alocasia, and Colocasia. These you can measure twice a day in summer :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

show me a pic,

How do you know you will be around long enough to see it mature? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am a virgo and a perfectionist but now I best shut up or we'll both get thrown off Hardy Tropicals...hahaahaha for being a forum thread hijacker.

Just be agood soul and be patient. icon_cheers icon_cheers
kata

Post by kata »

Dave,

Them banana plants look nice what I have seen.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave. I have a Musa Basjoo on its way should be here tuesday. I have also got a white aganthus on its way as well to add a bit off colour to the garden.

So in other words the cycad seed could take years for it to crack open a sprout icon_scratch :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Kata - I am only 26 years old so should hopefully be able to see some nice growth on the cycad and a bit of height on my Dicksonia antarctica's :lol:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Dave i have just brought my first colocasia - black magic aroid. 2.99
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

sanatic,im not sure how old these are but ive had them a year,some have got bigger but hardly any new fronds on any.Francis Bell kindly set me up with a small collection to get me going as i was waiting forever for some things to germinate,giving up in some cases
Attachments
Image0380.jpg
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Redsquirrel - this is how far mine have gotten too. in 3 weeks. Oh and i don't suppose the root ever grows back as on one of my seeds i have accidentally snaped the root off. :oops:

Anyway these are the two that have roots :lol:
Attachments
Cycad seed 1.jpg
Cycad seed 2.jpg