colocasia - black magic

sanatic1234

colocasia - black magic

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have just put my colocasia - black magic outside for the first time to graduly acclimatise it. I did even think about leaving it out over night with the low only being 6c? This will probably without doubt be too much for it all in one go though.
In the uk is colocasia only hardy to a zone 8 or a zone 9 i am hearing both on the internet from different sites?
metalhammer

Re: colocasia - black magic

Post by metalhammer »

If they are hardy to Zone 8,why aren't they growing wild here,a large part of the UK would be zone 8.

metalhammer.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

EXACTLY! I am hearing zone 8 from one website then zone 9 from another it gets very confusing as to which one to believe so i thought i would ask you guys and get a proper answer.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

metalhammer wrote:If they are hardy to Zone 8,why aren't they growing wild here,a large part of the UK would be zone 8.

metalhammer.
Because zone 8 is only an average of coldest temps. It is the duration of cold/wet that sees most off. Oh, and also our lack of a summer compared to the US where USDA zones originate.

I do wish people would not use USDA zones as they just don't work for us here. :roll: Compared to the US we have a spring and an autumn, we don't get their summer or their winter :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by sanatic1234 »

Thanks for that info dave. That has cleared that up. :) I do agree with you though people shouldnt use USDA zones especially when looking on uk website!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My Black Magic is in the water feature in the conservatory with temps up to 38C in our recent hot weather. Even in the water I have had a bit of Res Spider Mite. I've had to wipe these off with a wet sponge as it is difficult to wet the leaves..... they are so waterproof :lol:

It is maybe not as black as if it had been outside but should get a 5 feet plant later in the summer :wink:
Attachments
20100725 Colocasia Black Magic.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright