Colocasia Mammoth hardier than expected

bobbyd44

Re: Colocasia Mammoth hardier than expected

Post by bobbyd44 »

it that neat h2o2, got some today 99p from boots 6% wasnt sure to use neat or not??
dave2166

Post by dave2166 »

Did you get it at the pharmacy or off the shelves andwhat quantity ?
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

cough medicine size bottle dave..over the counter at boots
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

bobbyd44 wrote:it that neat h2o2, got some today 99p from boots 6% wasnt sure to use neat or not??
I use about 1/2 to 1% not 6% as that may damage soft tissue. 1% is what you gargle with so effective at killing bacteria, but won't damage the surface tissue, was my reckoning :wink: I bought some from Boots but you have to ask and if you ask for too much they have to notify the authorities. :wink:

Problem is with all the things it is useful for you'd need gallons. It is useful to help recover overwatered plants as it fizzes oxygen around the roots. Alocasia in particular could benefit from this :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Update icon_thumright

Most of the rhizomes I stored overwinter including the big one did not sprout. They sat there doing nothing then went soft... not rotted but clearly not alive either :roll: I had given some to Darren (RS) but seems they did not sprout either. I am not sure if being exposed to the snow for a few days before I dug them out damaged them and they did not survive storage. Of the 26 or so rhizomes only 3 successfully sprouted and are growing.

I left 2 clumps out and thought there was no way they could have survived the winter, which although not colder than 2008/9 with a min of -5.6C, was a much more severe winter in terms of lack of day time highs. The clump in the sheltered south facing back garden has not come back so I presume has died, however, the clump in the exposed North facing garden has put in an appearance with 3 pups so far.

Also the Jungle Seeds Giant Colocasia (They didn't know exactly what it was) but may be C. gigantea has come through. It has a much more rounded leaf than Mammoth. The odd thing is I don't recall seeing that at all last year.... so, confused now icon_scratch

These have emerged about a month later than last year so it will be interesting to see how big they get. Obviously that will be determined by what the overall summer is like. July and August 2009 were way above the long term average for here. We'll See :wink:
Attachments
20100623 Colocaisia mammoth.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

My one that came through 2 winters at -9C Dave has not returned after the -12.8C :cry: . If I ever see that same display anywhere again I'll buy some more(SOME! :lol: ).
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

This warm weather has really brought them on, I counted 9 new shoots this morning. icon_thumright

Also, a couple of feet away I found a tiny, either Colocasia Fontanesii, or Burgundy stem, too small to tell which yet and both were next to each other.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by grub »

grub wrote:My one that came through 2 winters at -9C Dave has not returned after the -12.8C :cry: . If I ever see that same display anywhere again I'll buy some more(SOME! :lol: ).
IT'S BACK! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just been to chuck some water at Big Billy Basjoo and it's there :shock: , an inch out the ground.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

That's good news Grub, so they are even hardier than our revised hardiness expectation. Certainly a toughie icon_thumright
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

Noticed a couple of pink chinas popping up at the weekend :D
If they were positioned a bit better then I'm sure they would've sprouted sooner as theres some gaoligongenensis starting to sprout a couple of foot or so away.And over on the other side of the garden they've been up for ages so stands to reason pink china would do the same on the same side too 8)
I'll be leaving them out this year to find out :wink:
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

thanks for the updates,one of your stored bits did sprout Dave but i rotted it in the hallway. too cool there perhaps??
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

redsquirrel wrote:thanks for the updates,one of your stored bits did sprout Dave but i rotted it in the hallway. too cool there perhaps??
They sprouted outside in April last year so probably not a lack of heat problem, more likely to be too much moisture retention and not enough air in the compost. They really do need an open compost which is bearly moist to start with, once growing well then ramp up the watering. :wink:

Glad to hear about the old china coming back Steve, by the way I still have that Jack's Giant for you. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I haven't forgotten Dave,just been very busy with one thing or another to get round to arranging a meet up :oops:
pm me and we'll sort something out icon_thumright
Steve
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

SteveW wrote:I haven't forgotten Dave,just been very busy with one thing or another to get round to arranging a meet up :oops:
pm me and we'll sort something out icon_thumright
Steve
Same here Steve need a 27 hour day and an 8 day week :lol: will pm.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Yearly update of 17th July is the benchmak as to how well the C Mammoth have come back from left in the ground. Those in the front border under the window have been out for 3 years now. The pic below top bit was just after planting up in 2008. The middle scetion was how they had come back after being out overwinter 2008/9, and not really much difference. The bottom section is this year and shows they were set back by the colsd winter and dry spring. Although they don't like being wet, the ground was dust dry and this delays sprouting. It mimmicks the dry season they have in their nataural environment. :happy:
Attachments
20100717 Colocasia Mammoth history.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright