One missed TREX (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Eddy

One missed TREX (Tetrapanax papyrifer)

Post by Eddy »

After reading about tetrapanax rex on this forum (well,I think it was this forum)I decided, I needed one. To my surprise one was for sale on ebay. What is more, the seller lived in LUTON almost next door to Stevenage. I got to think 'no postage cost'. So I put in a bid. Sadly I was out bid in the last few seconds. 'Never mind it wouldn't have lived any way' I thought. But would it?
What is the best time to acquire a trex plant. Is it the other side of the frost going straight into the ground or this side to gather some momentum in the greenhouse? I have heard that banana plants grow bigger if started off in a greenhouse early. Or should I buy seeds rather than plants? Any views on this subject.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi Scrim,

I'm not an expert on this as this is my first year growing it, but I very much doubt you will get a T-Rex from seed, as it is not a distict species, just sport or cultivar. My guess is thet you will get a standard Tetrapanax papyriferus not the Rex form. If the plant was already potted up earlier in the year it would be ok in a greenhouse and planted out in spring. Hardy evergreens can be planted out at this time of year, but this is not fully hardy and would struggle. The problem with ebay is you cannot inspect the plant before bidding or buying, so in this case you would not know if it was established in the pot on not.:roll:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by SteveW »

I had a load of pups a few weeks ago,that were literally just dug up.They didn't really have their own root system yet,still basically just suckers from the main plant.And they resented being dug up quite badly,most of them defoliated apart from the newest leaf.The best ones were given away and the worst are still recovering(they may not make it now as the slugs have had a real feast in the last few days).
I would guess that the ones on ebay are fine though.They're on there quite regularly so keep checking,alternatively if you know who the seller is why not email them to see if they've got others.Most people who grow this have allways got pups.Sometimes BIG pups that can't be posted,so being as you'd be able to collect you might get yourself a bargain
Steve
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Thank you gentlemen for your input. It appears I have much learning to do. Its just as well there is plenty of experience on this forum. It may be just as well to wait till the spring. Thank you.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Hi Scrim,

We are near you in Luton, what plants are you growing?

We have a youngish T-rex in the ground, once they get going they often send up lots of pups, if it does next year you are very welcome to one.

Gaz
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Hi Gaz-Mark, in answer to your question about the trex, Yes please. I would really love one. As for what's in my garden, well I have a 4foot Trachycarpus growing in the corner. Buying that, started me off on a spending spree that even now has not stopped. Bamboo, fig tree, and a fatsia In my green house I have a few (Ilost count) simbidiums, Three small phoenix date palms, 1 ensete murelii, 4 basjoo, 1 musa sikkimensis, 1 ensete vent???, 1 cycas panzhihuaensis, 1 butia capatata, canna's and other plants. As the soil in my garden is not very good I'm in the process preparing it for next year. I have a customer who can supply all the manure I need. I have to say that I'm new to tropical gardens. It's all a bit exciting at the moment. Hence my apparent ignorance on curtain matters. Photo's will appear later. But yes please, on the trex offer. Have to go now. Got to earn some more plant money. Speak later.
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just have to hope it chucks out some babies now then!!

If your over this way then you would be welcome to have a look at our garden, again we are fairly new - been going 3 seasons in the garden now, and know the feeling about buying too much.

Gaz
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Gaz,
They pup quite readily once you disturb their roots,and as they have an extremely large root system you're almost guaranteed to disturb them whenever you plant or lift something within a couple of metres of it.
I lifted a 'red tiger' yesterday thats only a metre or so away,and cut through a root from the rex that was about an inch thick :shock:
The furthest away I've found a pup is probably 2 metres away from the main plant.Thankfully its contained in a raised bed so it can't escape into the neighboours gardens(I would hope :lol: )
Eddy

Post by Eddy »

Hi Gaz, I may very well take your offer in the near future. I always like looking at other's work. It was seeing pictures of other gardens on this forum that inspired me to have a go with mine. The wife was amazed at the sight of me digging it over without her influence. This is my first season with a tropical theme, so the back yard doesn't look much. But come next season. Some have said that a root barrier is a good idea when dealing with trex. I have used half a plastic chemical barrel for my fig tree. Its supposed to encourage it to fruit. Maybe I'll shall do the same for the trex. When I get the opportunity to drive over, I'll send you a message first to check if it's all right. :)
Gaz

Post by Gaz »

Just drop me a PM and we can sort something out.

Gaz