Here's why Trachycarpus won't naturalize here.

Las Palmas Norte

Here's why Trachycarpus won't naturalize here.

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

In almost all areas of the southeast coast of Vancouver Island (where I am), the summers are too dry to allow Trachycarpus fortunei to naturalize. There are some small pockets where ground water can perhaps supply enough but I wonder about winter flooding which would sound the death knell just the same.
I conducted this experiment to see how these palms manage within a range of routine watering.
Closest (dead palm) is pretty much out of watering range, second back is barely surviving, and anything in the watering area (background) is thriving.
It's obvious, without human intervention these palms will never survive here in most cases.

With more summer rain I'd imagine these would be more likely to manage in the UK. Ya?

Cheers, Barrie.
Attachments
August11-10 003b.jpg
kata

Re: Here's why Trachycarpus won't naturalize here.

Post by kata »

Hi Barrie,

Is the near one a red?

As for the question it must rain sometime :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Why not have full control and pot them up. Google what plants love dry for your country.

Rain. Its rained in Lancashire almost daily since St Swithin's day when its said it will rain for 40 days and 40 nights if it rains on this day.

:( :( :(

EDIT: Is all that land your garden.. :shock:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I'm surprised it is always dry where you are Barrie, as Carol Ja of Salt Spring Island was always complaining about the rain there, are are the climates very different, like between the Southeast and Northwest of England?

I compared the climate of Vancouver and London, somewhere on here, and Vancouver had more than double London's during the summer.

Back to the Trachycarpus, their natural range is the bit of China that has just been washed away, so I think they can take a drier winter but prefer a summer monsoon. I have found they can take being waterlogged without problem. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

Kata ... "As for the question it must rain sometime"
Yes it does but appreciable rains aren't until late October and November.
Far too late to penetrate deep enough in the soil to help the unattended Trachycarpus.

"Why not have full control and pot them up. Google what plants love dry for your country."
Oh I have and certainly do plant accordingly for the most part.

Dave ... "I'm surprised it is always dry where you are Barrie, as Carol Ja of Salt Spring Island was always complaining about the rain there"
I can assure you Carol has had pretty much the same rain totals as we've had here and would normally. I'll have to address her complaining the next time I see her. :lol:
As for summer rainfall total comparisons between Vancouver (Canada) and London (England), you've got me. All I can tell you is it's always dry here in summer. A wetter than normal summer would still have the appearance of fairly dry because of the rocky terrain and little chance of standing water.
I've always advised folks to plant these palms away from areas with poor drainage.

Cheers, Barrie.
billdango

Post by billdango »

hi there . you are lucky ,my trachycarpus seeds keep sprouting in hundreds every year . iff i did,nt dig them in every year i would be buried alive in palm trees.
iff any other members are short in palm trees [baby ones] just let me know
yours. billdango.