Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Adam

Re: Parajubaea torallyi var torallyi (PTVT)

Post by Adam »

i just tied up the leaves with string and then covered with fleece :?: :?: beats me but it died maybe it didn't have the hardines gene :roll:
Vic

Post by Vic »

Adam wrote:nick i had a ptvt fairly big one which i protected and it completley rotted through last winter and we only got -6 so im not too sure about it, i am now trying the microcarpa variety see if i have any luck with that icon_blackeye
Adam, with the temps we have been getting and the longer term forecast i don't think a wrapped shelter is enough. Ropelights seem to be the way forward which keeps temps inside a few degrees warmer as well as keeping the worst of the frost away. I would imagine -6c is close the the limit for these anyway depending on the size.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Vic wrote:
Adam, with the temps we have been getting and the longer term forecast i don't think a wrapped shelter is enough. Ropelights seem to be the way forward which keeps temps inside a few degrees warmer as well as keeping the worst of the frost away. I would imagine -6c is close the the limit for these anyway depending on the size.
Also, perhaps an overhead shelter of some sort to keep the wet off.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Kristof in Belgium got one as far as I know. But if its still alive there after this cold weather I do not know.

Alexander
White94

Post by White94 »

Here’s my pot grown in Plymouth Devon uk
Attachments
D251DF41-66EE-48C8-86DD-F51C4DB87E39.jpeg
Rodders

Post by Rodders »

Here is one of the biggest in Christchurch.
Attachments
20200222_123701 copy.jpg
Rod.
HowardMoon

Post by HowardMoon »

I have had one of these planted out for two years now.

A very interesting palm. Most literature states that it dislikes high temperatures as it is found growing at altitude on cool mountain slopes.

I found that most of the growth occurred between August and November once the Summer heat had passed. In two years the plant has doubled in size.

The last two winters have been very mild, I have wrapped it lightly when an overnight below -3 was predicted but I don't think it was really necessary.

If you live in a mild area I would definitely recommend trying to find one of these.
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Mine wasn't protected from the Beast from the East and got away almost unscathed. Planted in a hot spot mine stops growing July to September.
HowardMoon

Post by HowardMoon »

Sounds like very similar experiences to mine GREVILLEAJ.

How many leaves a year does yours put out? I get about three a year.
GREVILLEAJ

Post by GREVILLEAJ »

Seems that your Ptvt and mine are joined at the hip, Howard, as mine also puts out three leaves a year. Can't remember when I bought mine (age!) but I've certainly had it around ten years and planted out for much of that time.

I protected it early on but has to fend for itself during the winter as for the past five years I am living abroad. Growth was slow to start with particularly as it was a double plant (Two seeds together). The smaller one died and the bigger survivor does better by itself.