this winters Phoenix canariensis_CIDP protection

jacko

this winters Phoenix canariensis_CIDP protection

Post by jacko »

this winter im trying something different.i've bought a mini greenhouse and placed it over the palm with 2 fleeces and filled with straw.i can open the door on relatively mild days.this i hope will minimise the green light part of the light spectrum dominating.i realized this might be a problem as the greenhouse is green and so are the fleeces.hopefully i can get it through again this year.
Attachments
DSCF4726.JPG
Simba

Re: this winters Phoenix canariensis_CIDP protection

Post by Simba »

It would seem like a good idea Jacko, infact I was considering getting two or three of these smaller ones to place over my ferns and Cycas next year.

After these past couple of winters, i am just going to assume that this is the sort of winter that we will have to face up to in future.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best..... icon_thumleft

PS - Can I ask where you got that one from Jacko..?
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Great idea...is it completely filled with straw? Does it suffer with any condensation issue. My poly house suffers very badly with condensation which is what has put me off this idea in the past.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jezza

Post by jezza »

I posted about my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP protection a couple of months or so ago, but here are the pics again. This is an old climbing frame wrapped in bubblewrap. I wrapped from bottom to top so that the overlap allows rainwater to run over the outside. I also left a 2" gap around the bottom so air can get in and circulate. So far there's been minimum condensation, and the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is unmarked....

cidp002.JPG
cidp001.JPG
Simba

Post by Simba »

It's funny - a couple of years ago (before I got hooked on exotics) I would have been horrified to see tents and fleece canopies scattered all about my garden.

But now I view them in an entirely different light.... :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:shock: That does surprise me Simba, I thought you'd been doing it for years by the looks of your garden icon_salut

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Simba

Post by Simba »

No Di, these past couple of years have been my first dabble into exotics, prior to that, everything was fully hardy shrubs and perennials.

Easier times, but much less rewarding (or risky..!!!).... :wink:
jacko

Post by jacko »

update for you it looks like its dead :( spear pulled the other day.all brown and mushy.shame really as i got it through last years winter.but at -14C during december i was expecting it.ah well a space for something different in spring.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Mine is dead too, but i expected that after a -19c. Didn't stand a chance.
billdango

Post by billdango »

that looks a great cover . believe me ,iff you have a passion for plants it,s worth any effort to give them at least some protecton .this is the uk not spain so extra effort has to be made . here in southampton we lost many Phoenix canariensis_CIDP last winter ,mainly in the north east section of the city .up to last febuary i had two twelve foot Phoenix canariensis_CIDP,s in my gdn .one of thesewas growing next to a south facing wall and it was completly destroyed. but only one mile from where i live at my friends house ,a twelvefoot Phoenix canariensis_CIDP is still in perfect condition and this is true of other Phoenix canariensis_CIDP,s in center of southampton.
so look after your palm ,it,s worth it .
regards .billdango.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

So sorry to hear its died. I'm betting it was the length of the cold and the fact its had to be wrapped up for so long. Last winters cold, relatively speaking, didn't last that long. We have all be hammered this year.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Tom2006 wrote:So sorry to hear its died. I'm betting it was the length of the cold and the fact its had to be wrapped up for so long. Last winters cold, relatively speaking, didn't last that long. We have all be hammered this year.
sounds famailiar.thats what we were saying last year about the previous winter in comparison.
hope we're not saying it again next year
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jacko

Post by jacko »

update for you a couple of pics of my dead Phoenix canariensis_CIDP.ah well.
Attachments
DSCF4957.JPG
DSCF4959.JPG
DSCF4961.JPG
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

:evil:

these plants dont seem worth the effort.
unlucky friend :( .
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

such a shame! This december spell was a 100 year event, surely we can't have it worse? :roll: :lol: