Date sowing

cai williams

Date sowing

Post by cai williams »

Hi guys, i tried sowing some date stones last christmas and it didn't work. I was just wondering if there was anywhere in particular i might be going wrong. Perhaps i am not giving the seeds enough light while they were in that plastic sealable tub (alright-it was an ice cream box, and i had removed the ice cream by the way :lol: :lol: )

PS: i did use the method on the webpage on this website

Cheers if you can chime in
kata

Re: Date sowing

Post by kata »

I think in the main patience,

I had mine in a clip to container. We had some freezing weather here so I just flung it to the elements. It laid there for at least two weeks then I brought it in. Its currently in the lounge.

I think also they need a constant temp. I will admit I have been trying with a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP since last year without success but others had success so its how to. You followed instructions so in time it should be fine if its viable seed.

You should test another, same batch if possible to see if it sinks in water, if it does its live so to speak.

Others will advise Cai.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

All i did with mine was just put the seeds on top of damp kitchen roll inside an old take away tub from a Chinese, it was washed :lol: then i put some more damp kitchen roll on top of the seeds so the seeds were kind of sandwiched by the kitchen roll then i put the lid on top and placed the tub on top of my kitchen cupboard they germinated in 2 weeks. :wink:
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

Thanks for that guys, i shall try to use your words to my advantage, and inform you when (and if) my stones have germinated

PS: if you have any more advice i will welcome it, and finally i wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.
kata

Post by kata »

Here in pics is the method San uses.

http://www.personal.u-net.com/~treetops/dateseed.html

:mrgreen:
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

cai williams wrote:Thanks for that guys, i shall try to use your words to my advantage, and inform you when (and if) my stones have germinated

PS: if you have any more advice i will welcome it, and finally i wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year.

always good fun, vermiculaite in a plastic takeaway container very slightly damp, left somewhere warm, always germinate quickly, then die off a yr later lol :)
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

THIS was how I did it a few years ago. The only difference I would make now is to soak the stones and kitchen towel in 6% H2O2
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

I think Cai looked at that but don't quote me dave :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes he did by the looks of it.
PS: i did use the method on the webpage on this website
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

where the heck do i find 6% H2O2?

PS: how do i quote stuff?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Kata wrote:Here in pics is the method San uses.

http://www.personal.u-net.com/~treetops/dateseed.html

:mrgreen:
:?: Yes and no Kata really, one i don't use vercumilite as my results are rubbish. I just pop the seeds on top of damp kitchen roll inside a old Chinese take away container after being soaked for 48 hours, then lay damp kitchen roll on top of the seeds close the lid and place on top of my kitchen cupboard till they germinate. Then i put the seeds in MP compost. and place on a bright windowsill. The container bit and soaking is right :wink:
cai williams

Post by cai williams »

yeah, stuff the vermiculite, cant find any of the bloomin' stuff anyway. :evil: lol
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cai williams wrote:yeah, stuff the vermiculite, cant find any of the bloomin' stuff anyway. :evil: lol
:?: Readily available at my local garden centre.

http://www.selections.com/GF6248/westla ... 20-litres/

£5.50 plus £4 postage
flounder

Post by flounder »

Kristen wrote:
cai williams wrote:yeah, stuff the vermiculite, cant find any of the bloomin' stuff anyway. :evil: lol
:?: Readily available at my local garden centre.

http://www.selections.com/GF6248/westla ... 20-litres/

£5.50 plus £4 postage
B&Q sell 10lt for just under a fiver
Quote button right hand side of post
Buy dates
eat dates
wash stones
soak stones(24-48hrs)
SLIGHTLY dampen kitchen towel/vermiculite
pop into sealable container
put somewhere warmish
germination 7 days onwards
pot on germinated stones
grow on for 5 years
use as unusual summer bedding
kill them :roll:
start again
simples icon_thumright

H2O2 sold in chemists 3% or 6% strength about a quid a bottle
call

Post by call »

i done it the same way as dave and tomorrow ive got to pot them on :D
tropical Tom

Post by tropical Tom »

Dave Brown wrote:THIS was how I did it a few years ago. The only difference I would make now is to soak the stones and kitchen towel in 6% H2O2
Dave, what is H202, what does it do to the seed and would you use it on all palm seeds? icon_scratch icon_scratch

Cheers.