Bamboo Sized Pot

Simba

Bamboo Sized Pot

Post by Simba »

Just wondering, if I placed a 15l pot of H.Shirosima into a tub which measures 66cms in diameter, how long is it likely to take before it out grows the tub..? :lol:
redsquirrel

Re: Bamboo Sized Pot

Post by redsquirrel »

havent a clue with boos but the ones ive seen that need re-potting normally look rediculously mis-shapen icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

At a guess I would say 5 to 7 years.

Trying to get a 66cm diameter rootball out of a pot would be fun as well when the time comes!
Simba

Post by Simba »

5 years would do nicely for me.... :D

I could keep bamboo contained, lift the tub (because it will be sunk into the soil) divide the rootball, and replant for the next 5 years..... :lol:

That is my plan anyway.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

My logic behind my answer is as follows:

Your 15 litre pot will be about 20cm across and the boo will grow 5cm in each direction every year, so the rootball will go 20cm, 30cm, etc. and in the 5th year it will hit the pot but will keep growing, but after a couple years of this it will start to get a bit pot bound.

I had one of these bamboos when I lived up in Perth and they were very pretty, but I found they grew outwards more than some other bamboos and after a period of time will take up a lot of space.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Adam D wrote:I found they grew outwards more than some other bamboos and after a period of time will take up a lot of space.
That is what I suspected, so if I can keep Shiroshima contained for a few years, I have the ideal spot in a raised bed to replaced a mushed Cordy..... icon_thumleft
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I here people saying get clumping bamboo & grasses....... is there such a thing or do they all get out of control......I would love some in my garden but I am currently digging some form of bamboo out of the garden that is everywhere...in the lawn under the fence and into next doors garden.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Most of the Fargesia are clumpers, although scabrida can form quite a thicket given time (it is a lovely bamboo though).
Simba

Post by Simba »

OK, my next question would be, anyone know where I can source some very large pots at a very reasonable price...? :D
Markby

Post by Markby »

Hi Simba,
I get my big plastic pots with handles from http://www.hartcanna.com/ and the prices seem pretty good to me (discounts for quantity) - they have some monster pots you could even use for a pond or bog garden...

hth
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i just bought a 66cm pot from b&q for £13 than went into wilkos later that day to find them at £9 :roll:

wilkos ones are nicely decorative too
Simba

Post by Simba »

It was the B&Q ones that I had my eye on, Wilkos here haven't yet started putting out the gardening stuff.....are they the same dimensions though....?
Gareth Davies

Post by Gareth Davies »

Simba wrote:It was the B&Q ones that I had my eye on, Wilkos here haven't yet started putting out the gardening stuff.....are they the same dimensions though....?
The sort of big pots availbale from the likes of Wilko and B&Q will not last 5 years and withstand being mauled about with a great big bamboo in them! I brought some proper black ones with handles from a nursery in Scotland off ebay. They were £15.00 each and are the size you require. OK, they're not very pretty but they are extremely durable.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i didnt measure up the wilko ones properly 'cause i was a little miffed at having already bought the more expensive one.

i would say the wilko pot had less taper toward the base.
have you not got one of the old black plastic bins from before wheelie bins?
that would work great for something like this.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Mr List wrote:have you not got one of the old black plastic bins from before wheelie bins? that would work great for something like this.
Crikey...!! I am not digging a hole that flipping deep mate...... :lol:

No, my intention is to sink a couple of large pots into a raised bed, which will be easy enough, but as the pot fills with rootball, I will lift the pot, divide the rootball, wash and repeat every few years.... icon_thumleft