The difference 6 months makes to a Cordyline (cabbage palm)

real_ale

Re: The difference 6 months makes to a Cordyline (cabbage p

Post by real_ale »

Here in Rhyl and surrounding area's 95% of all Cordyline's are damaged, its been the worst winter in ages for these. All will need to be cut back abit, and they should re-grow we hope.
Attachments
IMG00048-20110126-1319.jpg
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I tidied up over 200 green leaves that fell from my big Cordy over the last week. Looks like the growing points on some heads have had it. Difficult to see from the ground :roll:

I drove up Valley Drive yesterday, up the hill away from the Thames and at about the 70m altitude mark, about 1 1/2 miles inland large Cordys have all their heads flopped, but the stems don't look too bad as I drove past.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Conifers »

More around here looking flop-headed now than did a couple of weeks ago. Delayed reaction I guess.
alext22

Post by alext22 »

Is it best to saw off the rotted crowns of floppy leaves or leave them to see if they resprout there?

Thanks

Alex
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Red cordylines in hanging baskets at Leeds Station are OK (other than been planted in a hanging basket!) whilst the ones 50 metres away on Quebec street planted in the same way have all flopped.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

alext22 wrote:Is it best to saw off the rotted crowns of floppy leaves or leave them to see if they resprout there?

Thanks

Alex
Well, it is difficult to say, I'd err on leaving for another month or any more hard frosts will damage the bare trunks, but I'm not going up 20ft to cut them off here. They will have to take their chances :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mo »

December 2010
December 2010
Picture taken today!
Picture taken today!
Here is my cordyline at the beginning of the freezing weather this winter and a photo taken today! :( :( :(
jezza

Post by jezza »

My second cordy collapsed today, trunk mushed to the base. I pulled both of them up as if these winters are going to be the norm then i'm not going to waste my time with them.

Every cordy in chesham is the same. There are three multi trunked ones in the high street that are pretty well protected and have been ok, til this year, all of them have lost there heads.
Si

Post by Si »

Only just seen this, OMG, it seems it's not just the grim NW, but right across the UK this Cordy wipeout, what percenatge can we expect to survive nationwide? sounds like a two thirds cull here, some trees are 25 years old and more
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=10112
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

The Cordys in the lower town here are a picture of health, the upper towns fortunes are mixed to say the least, but it's a case of some Cordys are ok, some are damaged, but here at least in the coastal fringes of Wirral it's not as bad as some other areas in Merseyside/region.
brendan

Post by brendan »

i am so sorry for everyone that has lost there cordies this winter i would be gutted but for me who is new to exotics it has been a learning curve. for the last 6 months i have read as much info as i can about various plants but experiencing weather like this has helped me plan my garden.
I will now plant my green cordies that are in pots in more sheltered places than i was first going to. Every cordie in my street is trashed apart from a couple that are close to houses. So mine will now be getting planted on the left side of my garden which is sheltered by next doors conifers and gets winter sun.
my smallest green cordy that was planted in september is fine. its got about a 1 foot trunk and was strapped up in the worst weather with hessian round the trunk and leaves and a fleece bag over the top.
on the -8 to -9 nights i put a plastic bag over the top and a padded work jacket round the trunk i know this is excessive but it worked for me with my temps. at every chance it all came off to air it and give it light. its going to be moved now to a more sheltered spot as i wont be able to protect like this as it gets bigger.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Brendon it's not excessive because you now have a live healthy Cordy, whereas most of us have dead/dying ones. So it worked icon_thumleft . Whatever works for you, stick with it, nothing wrong with that. :D And well done.

Yours was lovely Mo, hopefully you'll have some growth further down or from the base shortly.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

these winds are certainly deciding any doubts round here,dead crowns strewn across peoples lawns everywhere. beware if out walking,a slap in the chops off a low flying cordy might come tight icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
jezza

Post by jezza »

That is certainly be windy!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have lost4 cordylines in all,they were well over 18ft and I have never had any problems until this winter.This windy weather is making them shed even more leaves and in doing so I'm giving up hope of any chance of survival!At least the kids are enjoying playing sword fighting with the dead leaves!I think I will have to dig deep and replace them with some large Trachies !Anyone know where Ican buy some cheaply????