Anyone have experience growing these ? .....

JungleNuts

Anyone have experience growing these ? .....

Post by JungleNuts »

Just placing order with JParker bulbs .... and stumbled upon the following which we felt compelled to order and try ....

Chasmanthe floribunda
Chasmanthe floribunda.jpg
Chasmanthe floribunda.jpg (52.1 KiB) Viewed 846 times
and this ....

Curcuma
Curcuma.jpg
Curcuma.jpg (44.42 KiB) Viewed 846 times
So has anyone tried these fella's before ? and if so, any guidance or words of wisdom ?

FYI .... if you use voucher code PB0111 (that's PB 'zero' 111) you'll get £5 off .....
Cheers

R
grub

Re: Anyone have experience growing these ? .....

Post by grub »

Curcuma (pride of Thailand) needs heat to do well, I did have one that did nicely throughout summer but once temps dropped below 5C it was history :(
Tropical Bob

Post by Tropical Bob »

Love those! Hope you can keep them alive! icon_cheers
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

So best approach would be coax into life under glass, plant out for summer, and the overwinter as usual ..... with everything crossed ? :?
jonny

Post by jonny »

I have tried growing the Curcuma pictured,alismatifolia? But have not had alot of luck. I started it off in a heated prop and it was growing really well but as soon as i took it out and stuck it on a windowsill it just stopped growing. I do have a different type of Curcuma , cant remember the name that seems survive in my unheated polytunnel. It is rather late to appear and has nice foliage but no flowers as of yet.I may try Alismatifolia again this year as we are selling them at Hilliers.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Glad you asked this one JN, I'd fancied giving curcumas a shot but the replies so far suggest that it's probably not a good idea.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I grew this last year i had the white version, and trust me, do not get the flowers wet! the water ruins them, it turned my nice white flowers a horrible brown colour and the stems. I was devostated and it never grew a new set of flowers either i got 7 flowers in a whole growing season. If you can keep the water off then bonus. they are ok when watered from the bottom, just not the top.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Did you start it off inside or outside san? Determined to at least get this to flower this time.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

i brought it already in bud jonny from a shop in horncastle, for 7 pounds,but the plant was outside in horncastle! i kept it outside and it was giving a light feed every month. and it was planted out in full sun. :)
Chad

Post by Chad »

Chasmanthe floribunda is a tender winter grower that goes dormant for the summer.

It doesn't survive in inland Cornwall, and the patch I used to walk past on my way to work in Penzance has lost its top growth in December this year and is not now visible. It may try again next year.

Apart from coastal Cornwall I’ve only ever seen it in flower under glass.

Chad.