Ligularia ....

JungleNuts

Ligularia ....

Post by JungleNuts »

folks ..... tried googling but no joy ..... I'm after 'Reniformis' or 'Crested Leopard' varieties ..... anyone got any good leads or insight into how to get hold of these babies ? Or has anyone tried them before ?

Cheers
dave2166

Re: Ligularia ....

Post by dave2166 »

have you tried RHS plant finder ??

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Pic's of the aforementioned if you are interested ....
reniformis.jpg
reniformis.jpg (53.5 KiB) Viewed 1382 times
and .....
crested leopard.jpg
Ta

R
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Wow, they're nice plants....
I hope they're as hardy as Ligularia dentata 'othello'.
this is slowly waking up from it's winter dormancy now, I;m determined to keep it looking nice this year, it's a slugs favourite here.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Hang on a minute , arnt these farfugium giganteum and podophyllum spotty dotty?
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

jonny wrote:Hang on a minute , arnt these farfugium giganteum and podophyllum spotty dotty?
I think you're right there jonny.
icon_salut

Farfugium japonicum has a few forms that have markings on it too, like splashes of yellow for instance.
Last edited by Nigel Fear on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

Thanks for the suggestions ..... but no solid leads .... not sure on the hardiness but from what I'm reading they are borderline worst case (originate from NZ i believe) ...... could survive with a good free draining site with a thick mulch for the blighty winter ....

Kinda concerned about the slug attraction factor ..... although that might keep the butters away from the Hosta's .... dunno about exotic tropical gardening, but we are sure setting up the slug equivalent of the 'Ritz' by the sounds of it ! :lol:
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

plants for shade have both of these listed, think i have both, hope they are more hardy than suggested!!
JungleNuts

Post by JungleNuts »

SPOT ON ! yup, they are the very same :oops:

Here's to better luck searching them out with more appropriate names ! thanks guys !
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Ligularia for sure, 'gets slugged' every year, but they recover better than Hosta's, I keep mine in a pot on the patio, where I can keep an eye on it, and away from the rest of the borders where they roam about more.
jonny

Post by jonny »

Podophyllum spotty dotty is a hardy perrenial in most uk gardens and i find the slugs leave this one alone. I have not had much luck with most farfugiums but the spotted one Aureomaculatum seems to be the hardiest. Slugs seem to like them very much indeed!
Last edited by jonny on Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

my ligs rarely get and slug damage..look great too... mines just starting to creep out now.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

i got mine from plants for shade last year.spotty dottys coming back already but no sign of kaliedoscope yet
the link for anyone interested spotty dotty etc icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Haven't got the kaleidoscope but does look a nice one icon_thumleft

Ligularia desdemona is just about making an appearance here, but here it gets slaughtered, have to keep applying the blue stuff throughout the season for them to stay in a decent condition.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.