What do you think Ladies and gentlemen?

sanatic1234

What do you think Ladies and gentlemen?

Post by sanatic1234 »

I hope this topic does not get any one mad with them losing some valued plants due to the winter, if it does i apologise in advance! :(

My reason for this topic is that i have since the bad weather has past, read that there is a lot of plants starting to wake up in peoples gardens and starting to make appearances, I'm not just talking hellebores, daffs, tulips that kind of thing, i am talking palms, bamboo, T-Rex's, cycads, ferns... This is just examples of what i have read and experienced myself.

SO.. my question to you is has all this bad weather really been as bad as we think for our plants??, surely not with all these different variety of plants wanting to wake up and starting to grow already?

Feel free everyone to put your opinions downs, i would love to hear what you think. :)
kata

Re: What do you think Ladies and gentlemen?

Post by kata »

Its time them darn plants woke up San but..

Woa....snow is on the way this weekend. Like most I made the most of a beautiful sunny morming.

I have few palms to worry about, the one I do have are fairly hardy.

I just saw graphic detail of the way to save the Ensete. I said no more but I just may..

:lol: :lol: :lol:
jonny

Post by jonny »

I think that it has been good especially for us younger and less experienced gardeners in a way that its made us realize what winter used to be like in this country. For me personally i just cant be arsed anymore with all this wrapping up and protecting buisness. There was plenty of stuff on the move when i went out this morning, Podophyllum, Petasites, Brunnera, Asarum plus Bamboos and Trachycarpus still looking great! This year i want to be looking at selling on all my gingers. Then i wont really need to protect anything and everything can just get on with it with minimal care and attention.
Last edited by jonny on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Its not over yet some palms wont show signs till april .Some Basjoo may not return its only February .But stuff is starting to grow Trachys my Trex is on the move .Plants inside are on the move with the extra light. Winter did start very early and stuff got wrapped for a long time
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

We had snow on the ground for 6 weeks and deeper than I have ever seen before.

Minimum temperatures were as low as last winter and the duration of cold was easily as long.

This winter even some of bamboos are showing quite a bit of distress.

Based on the damage to the bamboos I would say it has been slightly worse than last year (and remember that last year was horrible up here).
jonny

Post by jonny »

We get away with alot less damage down on the coast here. I feel for you Northerners :(
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I must admit a part from my one Trachycarpus F that IS dead, and my 2 cordylines that are looking the same, i haven't done too bad to be honest, everything else seems to be OK that is still outside, i won't count my indoors plants as they received no harsh winter.
I am doubting my callistemon to be honest that is totally brown from top to bottom.

I still think for some reason that in ways this really cold weather has some how benefited the plants may be it has been breaking up and thining out clay soils, or possibly the protection by the snow.

I can't put my finger on it but something seems to have done these plants some good, may be its just the loads of water they have gotten. and im possibly seeing loads of hardy plants and non half hardy plants.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

sanatic1234 wrote:SO.. my question to you is has all this bad weather really been as bad as we think for our plants??, surely not with all these different variety of plants wanting to wake up and starting to grow already?
Yes :( Here at least. Nothing is growing for me apart from Trachycarpus's making a good effort. Rest of the backbone plants are still dormant or still shrivelling. Same as the shrubbies. Am I mad, no, just fuming. :lol:

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Bless ya Di, I really hope things get better for you i really do!, as your garden is very nice. i will keep hoping for you that your garden bounces back. :) it is only february after all i suppose not everyone's garden is going to see growth yet.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Cheers San. A lot of us are in the same boat unfortunately :( I'm sure a few things might surprise later on in the season. Looks dim now but still can't wait for better weather and to get back out there. :D

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Im more than sure they will Di, i must admit when i was outside yesterday clearing some winter mess up, i accidently dug up one of my dahlia tubers and to be honest that did not look good at all and they had protection as well, 4 inches of compost, leafs and some straw :roll: I will be very surprised if that comes back this year.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes its been horrendous for me. Lost all my bananas, three tree ferns already, two Trachycarpus Fortunei and probably another two to follow. :(
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Sorry to hear that tom, what banana's have you lost, and is there no hope at all for your tree ferns? I can join you on a Trachycarpus F, one of mine is totally brown now :(
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

My Ensete has passed away in the garage. I had a few small (unknowns) that I picked up late on in the year for a few quid each so financially not a big hit here, just a shame.

I am still hopeful for my four larger Dicksonia antarctica. No signs of life yet, but I wouldn't expect any yet. With my losing three though (first time I have ever lost any) I am very concerned though. Already got some new plants on order though so some gaps will be filled. :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Does a ensete not pup then like musa basjoo's? Im quite lucky in the sense i have plenty of storage. I do hope that your Dicksonia antarctica's pull through though tom, i have just this minute watered mine :) I will have hope for your 4 Dicksonia antarctica's as well tom, that reminds me i must get the holes dug for my 2 Dicksonia antarctica's. :D