dragon arum about to flower

neonlights

dragon arum about to flower

Post by neonlights »

hi all,

I have not posted anything on here for a while but have been on here most days veiwing everyones posts. so thought i better start interacting again.

I ordered 5 dragon arums last year & planted them in pots the autum, i left 4 to over winter in the shed & kept one in my flat incase i lost them, over winter it grow & is about to flower.

not sure what to do with it now befor the stentch starts.
Attachments
Image0066.jpg
Image0066.jpg (46.97 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Image0067.jpg
Image0067.jpg (42.53 KiB) Viewed 1419 times
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: dragon arum about to flower

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I would move it outside or cut the flower off now before they stink your flat out!
Hoops

Post by Hoops »

Hi
do they smell so bad. Is it the flower itself. A friend of mine has voodoo lilies and i've heard they can smell as well. I was offered one and now don't know whether to take it or not. :(
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Voodoo's stink like rotting flesh, got shot of all of mine last year. I grew them for quite some time and the flowers are amazing for as long as they last but last year they flowered during a very nice spell of weather and they were planted fairly close to my garden hut so had to go.

I know there are loads of Arums but I havent seen one as tall as that in anyones garden.
kata

Post by kata »

Gee,

I thought only one plant stunk in Asia...........the Rafflesia. that stinks like rotting flesh too.

Chances of you seeing it flower though is hardly ever.

That looks a whoppa neon.

Here is one I forget the name of:
Attachments
attenborough.jpg
attenborough.jpg (28.84 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

You know, I was given some of these bulbs from a friend, she was trying to get rid of them, said how she couldn't stand the smell, well anyway I took some off her hands and planted them in the top end of the garden just in case the smell was too bad further down. They flowered, got right on top of it, and guess what, I couldn't smell a thing :shock: Could it be Titan Kata.
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yes Di its the titan lily, Kew have got the knack of flowering them now.
I have seen a couple in flower at Kew, quite awesome.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Here are a few pics from Kew from 2005 showing the flower closing up, also pics or the stem (also awesome) and of the seed pod.

Amorphophallus titanum.

(Sorry going away from original question)
Attachments
The Amorphophallus titanum flower (Medium).JPG
titan leaf (Medium).JPG
titan seed pod 2 (Medium).JPG
kata

Post by kata »

Ade answered your question Di,

Yep forgot the name. I was looking through Wiki Asia flora but it did'nt come up.

Thank Ade!

Interesting it did'nt stink di, are you sure there was'nt a corpse di..ved inside of it.

The Rafflesia DOES stink of dead fish, corpses, flies.
Attachments
rafflesia.jpg
Junglejames

Post by Junglejames »

Everyone may have seen one of these timelapses, but they are stunning to watch:
http://www.youtube.com/embed/y7KhjDdcvk0

And good old Sir David Attenborough icon_king:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgHhDsJS ... re=related

Can you imagine the reaction if you could plant one of these two beauties in your front garden! :ahhh!: :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Thanks Ade for those great pics, looks amazing, all parts.

Never seen one of these in the flesh. Last time was 7 years ago when I went to Kew and never noticed the plant then. Like land of the giants in there. :lol:

Nope Kata, couldn't smell that one either, must have had a nose block :shock:

Love these timelapses - thanks for the links James, had never seen the Titan one before.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
jonny

Post by jonny »

I can never smell these sort of plants icon_scratch I usually grow Dracunculas vulgaris and even when the flies are landing on them i still cant smell them :?
flounder

Post by flounder »

I grew dracunculus in my compost heap at my last place, so two smells for the price of one! Not an overpowering smell in an open location but you wouldn't knock up any brownie points letting it flower indoors icon_thumbdown
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Back to Neonlight's plant - it looks horribly etiolated (starved of light), so I'd doubt it'll have enough energy to produce much smell. Move it to a much lighter spot now, but don't plant outside until all risk of frost is over (it is in active growth so won't have any frost tolerance).
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

jonny wrote:I can never smell these sort of plants icon_scratch I usually grow Dracunculas vulgaris and even when the flies are landing on them i still cant smell them :?
I'll let you know soon Jonny :wink:

But from what I'm lead to believe don't they only smell bad for a day :?:
Leigh