What's the best Varigated Bamboo?

Andrew Smith

What's the best Varigated Bamboo?

Post by Andrew Smith »

So any suggestions for a nice Varigated Bamboo?

Needs to be hardy and evergreen. Well behaved clumper.

How about P. Aurea Variegata?

If anyone has some nice photos that would be nice to see.
Mr List

Re: What's the best Varigated Bamboo?

Post by Mr List »

http://www.thepalmhouse.co.uk/bargains.html

i got one of these

Hibanobambusa tranquilans "Shiroshima

and two of these

Pleioblatus aureacomlus
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mr List wrote:Hibanobambusa tranquilans "Shiroshima
I've "inherited" one of these from next door. From what I can see it likes to spread. Luckily on my side of the fence I've got a concrete base where the bamboo is trying to grow into so its can't get out of control.

Its nice with lots of thin culms and big leaves.
jonny

Post by jonny »

I have never seen any large plants of Phyllostachys aurea variegata and i think that this may be due to it flowering fairly recently. I do know that alot of bamboo enthusiasts speak of it very highly . My own plant is only about four feet tall and showing great variegation . The only thing that i find difficult about this Bamboo is that it seems to get abit battered in the winter and somtimes looks abit of a mess come early spring but it does seem to bounce back quick enough. Hibanobambusa shiroshima is the best variegated bamboo in my opinion but as mentioned can be a real thug and is currently pushing my neighbours path out of line with its vigorous rhizome system. Sasa shimofuri is another invasive one but has beautiful variagation and one of my favourites.
Andrew Smith

Post by Andrew Smith »

Hibanobambusa tranquilans "Shiroshima does look very nice indeed.

Just been looking at some pictures on various web sites and found these.

This is a lovely picture of it:
H-tranquilans-Shiro.jpg
Apparently this Bamboo suffers from "sun burn"? Here is a picture I found of the purple tinge to the leaves. Anyone seen this happen?
tranquillans-'Shiroshima' - Foliage showing purple sun burn.jpg
tranquillans-'Shiroshima' - Foliage showing purple sun burn.jpg (27.52 KiB) Viewed 1407 times

Are there any other varigated bamboos that I should be looking at? I particularly like big leaves and thick clums!!!!!!!
jonny

Post by jonny »

Never seen leaf burn on my shiroshima Andrew but it does only get half a day of full sun.For variegation you aint gonna beat this boo . Just a shame it likes to go walkies :roll:
jonny

Post by jonny »

Pleioblastus chino elegantissima is also a lovely bamboo but does not have big leaves or chunky culms i am afraid.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I grew a Hibanobambusa tranquilans "Shiroshima" when I lived up in Perth and I did not see any of the leaves go that pink colour, mind you, the sun isn't very strong up there.

I planted it out 9 years ago and I wonder how big it is now?
simon

Post by simon »

I planted one out last year so it is early days yet but a beautful bamboo. It is supposed to be a natural hybrid of Phylostachys and Sasa so no reason to think it would be well behaved there. However, I have read that it tends to form an expanding clump rather than running off in random directions. does that tally with peoples experience.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

simon wrote:I planted one out last year so it is early days yet but a beautful bamboo. It is supposed to be a natural hybrid of Phylostachys and Sasa so no reason to think it would be well behaved there. However, I have read that it tends to form an expanding clump rather than running off in random directions. does that tally with peoples experience.
I only grew it for 18 months so I can't really comment that much, but one thing I noticed is that the actual clump remained quite tight, but the new clumps would grow out at 45 degrees for a foot or two before going upwards so the actual size of the plant would end up quite large.

However, if you have the room then it is a lovely bamboo and with its parentage will certainly be full of vigour :)
grub

Post by grub »

I'm watching for replies Simon as it's one I've been debating for a while :roll:
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i put mine in the 30 litre pot my Trachycarpus came in.
how long will it be good for in a pot that size?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

grub wrote:I'm watching for replies Simon as it's one I've been debating for a while :roll:
Maybe I should go and visit the people who bought our old house from us?

Nah, the woman was a first class nutter. It would be interesting to see how the garden has performed, particularly after the -20C and sustained sub-zero temperatures they received up around that area back in December :shiver:
jonny

Post by jonny »

I have seen and heard of plants that are well behaved and almost clumping were as mine seems to pop up all over the place. I dont know if this is down to the growing conditions or if there are different forms in cultivation.Keeping it watered and fed well may help?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

jonny wrote:I have seen and heard of plants that are well behaved and almost clumping were as mine seems to pop up all over the place. I dont know if this is down to the growing conditions or if there are different forms in cultivation.Keeping it watered and fed well may help?
Nothing runs up here and growth rates aren't that wonderful due to the short growing season.

We get lots of rain and the soil is poorish and needs extra nutrients, which it receives.

Maybe it is the rainfall that is the factor?