Best spot for a t-rex?

Tom2006

Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by Tom2006 »

I got my t-rex today thanks to a very very kind person on this forum! icon_salut icon_cheers I have potted it up to try and get its roots established. Just wondering where the best spot in a garden is to put it please?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fieldfest

Re: Best spot for a t-rex?

Post by fieldfest »

i was wondering this too, i'm just going to split my luck and plant one in shade, one in sunny spot and one in full sun, maybe in a pot too :lol:
bobbyd44

Post by bobbyd44 »

the best spot is probably any where were a large t rex will go hehe
jimhardy

Post by jimhardy »

I would think for maximum leaf size and east exposure
or dappled sunlight.

Mine grew equally well in full/part sun with enough water.
Last edited by jimhardy on Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks Jim, got a few spots that should suit it then.
Andy Martin

Post by Andy Martin »

Tom... I hate to be pedantic but the best spot for a T Rex is a greenhouse judging by the wobbly jelly moulds formed on most of them this Winter. :?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Allow 3m diameter for a single stem full size plant. allow 6m diameter for pupping range, unless a barrier used, and protect well if we have a repeat of last winter. Nothing kills the roots off so if all else turns to mush it will pup again form the roots. My monster one in the front looks like it was killed to ground level, but has 6 pups already, from Mid Feb to now.

The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks Dave, good to know they will come back from the roots. I have some nice rich soil (which I have been improving ever since I moved in) so will try it there. I would be lying if I said I had 3m of space but I'm sure other plants will just have to cope :lol:

Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
vivi

Post by vivi »

The leaves can irritate,mine is near the pool and my kids have never had a reaction,but last year a friends daughter did,her body was covered in a rash!!beware!!
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

thanks, will make sure its well away from their usual play areas
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

Dave Brown wrote:Allow 3m diameter for a single stem full size plant. allow 6m diameter for pupping range, unless a barrier used, and protect well if we have a repeat of last winter. Nothing kills the roots off so if all else turns to mush it will pup again form the roots. My monster one in the front looks like it was killed to ground level, but has 6 pups already, from Mid Feb to now.

The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:

i still think my overwatered one is stone dead and 3m diameter is both mine and my neighbours garden :lol:
eddie

Post by eddie »

Dave Brown wrote:The pups only seem to grow in good organically rich soil. I have never had a pup come up in the clay. :wink:
I've got one thanks to a friendly forum member.... Grows very well inside in a pot.

But...i'm on clay. Would it be good enough when i mix the clay wit a bag of gardensoil from a gardencenter?
:?: drunken_smilie1
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
simon

Post by simon »

Tom2006 wrote:Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
Other than that post from vivi, I have not heard any reports of skin irritations. My experience (and I have heard from others) is that the dusty deposites on the petioles and undersides of leaves can cause a nasty chest irritation if inhaled. If you brush against it while weeding undernieth etc. you will be coughing you guts up for ages. Most unpleasant.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks Simon will take care.
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

simon wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:Is it true the leaves can irritate? Just thinking about my kids thats all, will locate accordingly if it does irritate.
Other than that post from vivi, I have not heard any reports of skin irritations. My experience (and I have heard from others) is that the dusty deposites on the petioles and undersides of leaves can cause a nasty chest irritation if inhaled. If you brush against it while weeding undernieth etc. you will be coughing you guts up for ages. Most unpleasant.
Same experience here, working next to my one last year led to some prolonged coughing and chest soreness. The white deposit on the undersides the leaves is nasty stuff.