Why are bamboo plants so pricey!

sanatic1234

Why are bamboo plants so pricey!

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just been doing a bit of browsing for bamboo's and I'm very keen on the nigra's but i do like a lot of others as well like the spec's. But for a decent sized plant that will give a instant impact they are pretty pricey really, BUT WHY? its not as if they are rare plants.

Any one know why? Are they slow growing or something? is it because they are on high demand? icon_scratch
jonny

Re: Why are bamboo plants so pricey!

Post by jonny »

I think that the main reason is because most dont produce seed very often therefore have to be propagated by division or culm cuttings which are labour intensive and slow to produce good results.Nigra does take a while from a small plant .
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

jonny wrote:I think that the main reason is because most dont produce seed very often therefore have to be propagated by division or culm cuttings which are labour intensive and slow to produce good results.Nigra does take a while from a small plant .
This is what I have heard as well.

They aren't that quick growing when little and some of them are still quite rare in cultivation.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Blimey i didn't know that they don't produce seed much :shock:

How many years does it take before a clump can get divided to make way for a new plant to be propagated?
I didn't know they had to be done like that most of the time.
dino

Post by dino »

sanatic1234 wrote:Just been doing a bit of browsing for bamboo's and I'm very keen on the nigra's but i do like a lot of others as well like the spec's. But for a decent sized plant that will give a instant impact they are pretty pricey really, BUT WHY? its not as if they are rare plants.

Any one know why? Are they slow growing or something? is it because they are on high demand? icon_scratch
San I picked up a half price Nigra for 8.99 this week. Not a bad size either. I could get you one if you're going to Akamba in May or before.
kindredspirit

Post by kindredspirit »

When they go to seed (once every 20 to 100 years), then all the parent plants of that variety die. It's a basic fault with Bamboos.

You can force new divisions with 18 6 12 but it makes the new culms weak and they tend to flop over. Best to stick to farmyard or horse manure around them for a year or two.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I'm not sure if i will be able to make it dino, I'm afraid :cry: I have been entered in to a gardening competition by my boss at work and i am transforming the works garden then its being judged, so that will be keeping me busy for quite a while.

But 8.99!!! what size is it and that is one good price :) most i have seen for a small plant no more than 2ft is 30-35 pounds.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

They are great plants though and soon fill out after a year or two. £8.99 is a bargin!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
dino

Post by dino »

It's at least 2 foot
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

[quote="kindredspirit"]When they go to seed (once every 20 to 100 years), then all the parent plants of that variety die. Iquote]

20 -100 years! that's ages!... no wonder they are dear then, so that mean there must be a lot of people doing divisions then on there bamboo's, not very good about the bamboo dieing shame really but as they say all good thing must come to an end :(
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

sanatic1234 wrote:I have been entered in to a gardening competition by my boss at work and i am transforming the works garden then its being judged, so that will be keeping me busy for quite a while.
Now here's an idea San, tell him you need some bamboos,order one more than you need, then suddenly look surprised when you tell him you've one left over. He's bound to tell you to keep it. :D

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

dino wrote:It's at least 2 foot
:shock: :shock: Arrg, i wish i would have the time for akamba then i would say get me one but i know i won't have the time im afraid :( Dam it.. 2ft 8.99 that is excellent...
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

DiCasS wrote:
sanatic1234 wrote:I have been entered in to a gardening competition by my boss at work and i am transforming the works garden then its being judged, so that will be keeping me busy for quite a while.
Now here's an idea San, tell him you need some bamboos,order one more than you need, then suddenly look surprised when you tell him you've one left over. He's bound to tell you to keep it. :D

Di
:lol: :lol: My boss is a she Di and a very touchy she at times as well :lol:
it may work, it just may, then again she would probably take it for her own garden and get me to plant it :lol:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

:lol: That's no good then is it, taking it for her own garden. I'm now looking for Plan B, should be one about somewhere.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

Di,can you explain this flowering thing please? ie,if one persons nigra flowers,will everybodies nigra flower? or just the ones originally related to one specific clump somewhere?
mind you,i guess over the course of 20/50 or 100 years,a clump could be divided and spread globally
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure